Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know brewer installed a 3" with a high flow cat....Im just curious about a high flow cat set up...Im getting ready to gut the manifold cat and in the process of doing that if I can get a 3" set up from the manifold back and utilize a high flow cat I would like to at the same time....The only issue Is I dont think I want an aftermarket muffler. So is there any way I can accomplish this? If need be I would go with an after market muffler and dump it. Thanks guys.....

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
personally, 3" is too much... but other than that you would have to use something to drop the pipe down to 2.5" from 3" for the stock muffler, then back up if you wanted the stock muffler.... other than that from what i hear our 2nd cat is a very high flow cat already and wouldnt net much if any gain with an aftermarket high flow cat

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
XHR on the other site has said that the stock cat flows better than all but one cat he's found.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay...well that sums that up....haha thanks guys!

I just read a post from XHR that said he has a 3" back with a tune running some impressive times....I guess Ill just gut the first cat and call it a day...thanks guys

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is...no one has proved anything..."impressive times" doesn't mean anything when you haven't gone to the track and done before and after runs...no one has proved anything...its all hear-say...
yea, I just ventured to a "drag race thread" on another site.....I dont understand some of the times and how they are getting them....oh well lol. Its not a race car I just want to be able to have a little fun...

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
yeah some of the times i see people get im like "damn man, i was nowhere near that. And i have a better configuration for getting there"

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
XHR on the other site has said that the stock cat flows better than all but one cat he's found.
He is full of shit. How the hell does he know how much our stock cat can flow or if the one he so called found is the best? Does he have a flow bench.....no.

The 3" cat I got from magnaflow is rated for a 5.9L to 6.2L motor. Part number 94109 http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/941.asp

The magical one he is using is probley Part number 59959 http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/599spun.asp Both cats have the same specs (other than the size) except the one I bought is about $45.00 cheaper. Now I would think that the spun round body would flow a little better than the standard clam shell design but where talking a few cfm difference probley. Plus those new spun body cats haven really been proven reliable yet. A lot of the ones that were first made were breaking up inside and getting stuck in mufflers so between that and the $45.00 difference I went with the cheaper one.

The 3” exhaust thing is a toss up. I’m not 100% sure its better than a 2 ½ exhaust but mine did make an improvement but it was more than likely the cat and the free flowing muffler I put on that made the most difference.

• Do you need a 3” exhaust…no 2 ½ is fine.
  • Did it hurt my performance…..no I don’t think so.
  • Is it too loud…..no mine is a tad bit louder than my Gibson.
  • Do I regret going to 3”….no not one bit.
  • What about back pressure…..I don’t care and but it still seems that I have back pressure still.

This is just my opinion. :econo:

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I can vouch for the Spun ones. I was going to suggest the 59959 Magnaflow one, until I read someone already mentioned it.

We use it on the custom down pipes we make in the shop and all sorts of vehicle.

They are well worth the extra $45.

What I don't get though, is I only pay $75 for mine, in Canada.

·
Registered
845 Posts
IMO NO CATS, delete both w/ a magnaflow muffler and a resonator to quiet it down.

For sure that would make a difference if you're looking for HP.

If your just looking for better efficiency...brewers set up is good. 2.5 or 3 is up to you.

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
I can vouch for the Spun ones. I was going to suggest the 59959 Magnaflow one, until I read someone already mentioned it.

We use it on the custom down pipes we make in the shop and all sorts of vehicle.

They are well worth the extra $45.

What I don't get though, is I only pay $75 for mine, in Canada.

$75 is a good deal on the spun ones if that was the case I probley would have took a chance on one of those. I havent heard anything bad about the magnaflow brand spun cats but dynatech ones and a "no name" brand have had some problems when they were first released.

Here is a pic of the $165.oo Dynatech cat

·
Registered
118 Posts
yeah there is no reason to get 3" exhaust for a I4......2.5" is more than plenty

1 - 19 of 19 Posts