Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LM7/4L80 swapped 05’… put about 300 miles on it since the swap, been driving around with my HP Tuners once in a while just keeping an eye on things. I’m noticing that my IAT is pretty high. ive got my air filter near where the factory was, MAF along with it, away from any bends. But the whole engine bay is pretty hot.

is there any gains to be made by making a heat shield? Has anyone had luck retrofitting a CAI intake/air box for the line 5 with the truck MAF?

im guessing I should also look into wrapping my headers?

Open to any other ideas for bringing down IATs.

·
Registered
392 Posts
This engine is an iron block right? This thing is going to radiate and store heat like crazy, worse than an aluminum block engine does.

There may not be any truly easy solutions to solve this, but did you keep your stock cold air intake box?

If you did, I would try to retrofit that or find an aftermarket solution like Volant to get your intake air temps down.

Bottom line, you have to keep your intake air completely isolated from the heat of the engine bay with your bigger, hotter V8 engine, period.

A cold air intake that draws air from outside the engine bay that is also totally sealed off from the engine bay is a must in this situation.

The stock cold air intake box did this well for a stock setup as it pulled air from the wheel well, using the motion of the wheel to force air.

But I will say this though, the smaller opening of the nozzle on the stock intake tube into the airbox was a major choke point for air flow.

I'd find a way to get rid of that so the engine can "breathe" and intake more air.

Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
What air filter are you using? I noticed quite a drop in temp switching to a k&n panel filter in my factory 5.3 airbox. I also connected a gutter plastic tubing to fit into fender hole to the airbox to get air directly from fender well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bottom line, you have to keep your intake air completely isolated from the heat of the engine bay with your bigger, hotter V8 engine, period.
yes, iron block 5.3.

thanks for the input, and being able to put my thoughts into words. lol.

What air filter are you using? I noticed quite a drop in temp switching to a k&n panel filter in my factory 5.3 airbox. I also connected a gutter plastic tubing to fit into fender hole to the airbox to get air directly from fender well.
just a cheap cone filter and some builders pieces. it worked to get the vehicle running but obviously needs revisiting.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Yeah that explains your high iat right there. I'm not sure but volante may have a box or try finding a factory 5.3 airbox. Definitely get the cone out of the engine bay.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that explains your high iat right there. I'm not sure but volante may have a box or try finding a factory 5.3 airbox. Definitely get the cone out of the engine bay.
yes... thanks for the affirmation.

i ordered a box, will try to make it work with my truck MAF and water pump (hence the routing UNDER the upper rad hose. lol). worst case, ill pick up the LH8/LH9 water pump and redo it.

also ordered an SS camaro hood vent and drip tray to try and let out some heat.

will take a note of my temps on my next long drive, after the install, and report back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This may help you out as well:

Scroll down to the instructions to see what it does, it's not actually an intake.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
added a volant air box. it fit like poo to be honest. but made it work be redrilling a mounting hole. i thought that maybe the issue was that i ordered the 5.3 intake rather than the 3.5 because of the hole location. after looking at all the inner fenders in CAD, im not seeing any difference. so who knows... its in now. and gave me a nice spot to mount my TCM.

This may help you out as well:

Scroll down to the instructions to see what it does, it's not actually an intake.
neat idea if it needs more air. thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Just as a barometer, on my 2010 V-8 with stock air intake, IATs run 10-20 above ambient pretty consistently here in FL.

·
Registered
109 Posts
cooler denser intake air is always a plus. in my 2001 jetta 1.8 T my filter was in the inner fender, really made the turbo boost especially when it was colder

1 - 11 of 11 Posts