Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back I built a front bumper and I'm finally getting around to making a rear. I have about 30 hours in it at this point and its almost 90% done... will post pics in separate post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started by making brackets that come off the frame, then cut out the top sheet and added all the other pieces from there. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next was the tow package part of the bumper... I used 2.5"x2.5" square tubing then welded a piece inbetween the brackets then welded the reciever to that and put gussets on it for strength.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Then was the license plate/hitch reciever cut away, I also added stiffners.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All that was left after that was to weld the tow package to the bumper then mount it to the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
wow that looks sweet!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Cant wait to get it powdercoated!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
One thing I always want to learn to do was weld. Can't even spell Arc, mig, tig, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its never to late to learn!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Haha I keep on telling myself im done modding but I always end up coming up with something else I have to have on my truck. At this point I dont know what ill do next, maybe a roof rack or rock sliders. For now im going to focus on finishing a few little things on the bumper and getting it powder coated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the bumper back from powdercoat earlier this week. Im pretty happy with how it turned out, once again if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
great job man! looks even better powder coated

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Good idea & execution. Do the coppers in your area care about the license plate being flipped up while towing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure yet. I would assume that the trailer plates would be good enough, or at least I hope they will be.

·
Captain of the Enterprise
1,486 Posts
Dude! That looks great I think that I might take your design cues when I build my bumpers. Honestly I don't think that the cops will give you a hard time considering tractor-trailers have the tractors covering the license plates all the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts