Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Home Link Pics Posted

I am 99.99% sure that the Colorado does not have an option for home link. I would like to install it into the area beside my 4x4 buttons. My truck doesnt have the air bag light beside my 4x4 buttons. do you think it would be possible to made a button that looks similar to the 4x4 buttons that could be used like home link.

My would be plan would be to either get the home link system out of an S10 or similar and maybe a set of 4x4 buttons and install them beside them in the blank spot. I am not 100% sure what all is involved with home link. My wifes Blazer has it so I might be pulling it apart just to learn it.

Any feedback good or bad would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
SOmebody noted that the circuit card for the 4WD, TC, airbag plate extends the whole length of that unit. So even if you don't have the buttons I doubt you'd be able to put switches in due to that. I'll pull apart an extra 4WD unit I have today if I get the chance and take a look.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
SOmebody noted that the circuit card for the 4WD, TC, airbag plate extends the whole length of that unit. So even if you don't have the buttons I doubt you'd be able to put switches in due to that. I'll pull apart an extra 4WD unit I have today if I get the chance and take a look.
This is true, and the home link card must stay near the buttons so it would be a no go in the 4wd controller unless you do some modification....

I thought about doing this, maybe building it into the head liner...

GM does have Homelink in some rear view mirrors.

eBay Motors: Gentex Homelink, Compass, Auto Dim, Mirror Kit (item 170190393578 end time Feb-07-08 09:51:49 PST)

I think I might get one...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought of that but I have Onstar in my mirror. I am not sure I want to give it up. I also thought of getting a shorty overhead console from an s10 and mounting it. I feel like i have seen it on here. I want to give credit to the guy but I just dont know who.

Also

I didnt know about the 4x4 running the whole way across. That kind of bites.... maybe back to the drawing board

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think it would be better to get one that was intalled in a Visor or make a custom overhead console then?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I want to do this so bad. I have a homelink unit from a trailblazer but can't come up with any good place to put it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats kind of why I think the best place is in the visor. There is the least amount of trouble to put it in. Also if you dont care if it doesnt match exactly you can just hook it in and get it the proper power wires... I dunno see if anyone has some feedback on this.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
what is homelink anyway?? never had it myself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a built in Garage door opener. it can do other things if you program them right. It could turn on your lights, coffee pot etc. My wife has it in her blazer and it slick bc she doesnt need a door opener.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay Project Homelink is a go. I think I am going to put it in our visor. I will try to write this up for a how to.....Ill keep posting updates as the project progresses

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bought the Homelink on ebay for 39.99 + a reasonable shipping $6.50,

So Pics will follow when it shows up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a visor one and let me say that I wish I would have just bought the entire visor because this project has been really time consuming. Getting the unit in is easy. Getting 2 wires threw our hollow tub on the swivel is next to impossible. I have a dumb question.....is there an internal fuse box or just outside?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay its in!! and working. After about 6 solid hours of trying to get 2 pair of 20gauge wire to fit threw the swivel arm of the visor I gave up and drilled a hole in the side of it where the swivel meets the fabric. I used door bell wire which has 2 pair in it. Wiring was a snap. All I had to do was get a fuse splicer (4 bucks as Advanced auto) tapped into the power seat fuse since I have none, ran a ground wire down to the bolt that holds the E-brake to the firewall by the gas pedal and I was in business. I took a good many pics along the way and before tomrrow night I will have directions with pics up incase anyone else wants to see how its done. It works great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts