Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont really know where i should post this, so sorry in advanced if it not the right thread. I have an 08 canyon and i'd like to add hood lift supports to it instead of the prop. Is that possible? Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
i had the redlines on my 05 and they were great. but i didnt open my hood very often and i noticed the hydraulics they had wore off. idk if it was just mine or what but other then that for the time they worked they were sweet.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
i had the redlines on my 05 and they were great. but i didnt open my hood very often and i noticed the hydraulics they had wore off. idk if it was just mine or what but other then that for the time they worked they were sweet.
Actually, it's gas pressure.. and yours apparently had a slow leak.
There is a small bit of oil in them, but the pressure is gas.
Others here have had them for years with no problem.

Don't know for certain, but you can bet that the "gas spring" cylinders that Red Line uses are probably made by Suspa...
http://www.suspa.com/us/products/gas-springs/

Red Line will sell replacements I believe, but I don't know anything about the price.
If you take some measurements and make a guestimate about the weight rating of those particular gas springs, you can probably find them in the Suspa online catalog.

And the Suspa people were generally helpful to me several years ago when I needed replacements for the gas springs under my Snugtop tonneau.

I can't recall now if they sold them to me directly or if they referred me to a dealer, but a nice woman there helped me find the model I needed from thier product line.

Now this is interesting:
http://www.suspa.com/fileadmin/3_bilder/Bilderpool/US-Files/Mounting_your_cylinder_the_right_way.pdf

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The warranty does vary, don't remember the details.

I got the "Elite" for that reason, I think it's two years.
(the Elite is stainless, I would've preferred black powder-coat myself)

Thought it was interesting though.... that pdf I linked above says the preferred mounting position for one of those gas springs is with the rod down..

I'm gonna check if the Redline props and my Snugtop props can be reversed to that orientation.
I know the Suspa brand, they make those props for lots of industrial and marine equipment, been around for a long time. If they rod-down is best, I believe them.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Come to think of it though....
The hood props are horizontal unless the hood is up, so no matter there.

I just need to look at my tonneau to see if those can be flipped, and from memory I'm 99% sure they can.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ok gas pressure. Thanks. Like I said they were nice to have. And I think 9 years later they won't be covered under warranty haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts