Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving today and made a right hand turn then my horn goes off. I make a couple more turns and it does the same thing. Does anyone know what this could be from?

·
Registered
253 Posts
my friend had the same problem in his 68vw, his ground wire for the horn was exposed in the steering colum so when he turned it would ground out thus causing the horn to go off

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my friend had the same problem in his 68vw, his ground wire for the horn was exposed in the steering colum so when he turned it would ground out thus causing the horn to go off
Thanks for the info. I'm going to take it back to the place I had my steering column installed.

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
:lol:

this was happening to my 83 s-10. finally one day i got sick of it, pulled over, popped the hood, jerked it out, and threw it in the holler. try that if all else fails.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:lol:

this was happening to my 83 s-10. finally one day i got sick of it, pulled over, popped the hood, jerked it out, and threw it in the holler. try that if all else fails.
:lol: thats pretty funny. you know you could of just pulled a fuse.

·
Registered
577 Posts
its probably the clock spring in youre truck is atone turn to far to the left and it is probably ging to ruin the clock spring. when the people put youre steering column in they probably had the wheel turned

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its probably the clock spring in youre truck is atone turn to far to the left and it is probably ging to ruin the clock spring. when the people put youre steering column in they probably had the wheel turned
damn That really sucks I just spent $200 for the clock spring to. I guess I'll have to take it back into them. the first time they didn't even look at it and said that it was a bad harness.

·
Registered
577 Posts
you may be able to save it. if the horn still works that means its most likely still good yuo just need to rotate it back after taking the steering wheel off. check to see if youre horn still works beforwize. also unplug the battery.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah the horn still works. I'm just going to have the body shop its at fix it on monday. Will I have to get it realigned after I do that?

·
Registered
577 Posts
yeah you have to get the clockspring realined. if you have a garage full of tools around you id suggest doing it now because you can damage it with the driving around. if youre goin to drive it around doint turn all the way.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I don't have my truck right now its getting painted so I'm not going to be driving it around. so it would probally be better for them just to do it instead of driving it back home and doing it my self.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh yeah my airbag light is on could that possibly mean the clock spring is damaged?

·
Registered
577 Posts
that means that the clock spring is ruined. you need to get a new one. man i feel for you. im on my 3rd right now also. you should make the people who installed it get you a new one. i guess its always something. youre in ohio arent you?

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that means that the clock spring is ruined. you need to get a new one. man i feel for you. im on my 3rd right now also. you should make the people who installed it get you a new one. i guess its always something. youre in ohio arent you?
I'm in oregon. I really would hate to go back to them but I might to have them pay for it. When I took it back they said there was no problem with the installation and blamed it on the used cruise stem I bought. acting like it was my fault. do you think my extended warrenty would fix it. because the shop I took it to has nothing to do with the dealership.

·
Registered
577 Posts
knowing the dealership they wouldnt cover it most likly but its worth a try. if that doesnt work i would make that shop pay for the new one.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I guess I'll have to wait for the stuff being painted and the go over to the shop and demand they replace it or refund my $200 for a new one.

Thanks for all you help I really apperciate it. :355:

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the the tools well almost all the tools I guess I need an airbag puller. I also know the basics on how to do it. so I might just do it my self. do you know a good place where to buy a new clock spring?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts