Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not planning an engine transplant anytime soon, but just curious how to budget for it if I did..

Given a competent pro mechanic and well-equipped shop, swapping a 3.5L long-block in an '05 auto trans 2WD..

anyone wanna take a swing at a ballpark estimate of hours?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Jesse.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Flat Rate manual gives 15.7 hours for the swap.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And thanks for that.

I appreciate that you both took time to help me on this..

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a problem Rick, now what are you doing??? :lol:
Being compulsive, approaching neurotic about my truck.
Pondering "what if"...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Being compulsive, approaching neurotic about my truck.
Pondering "what if"...
I can relate to this compulsion . . . I've been doing that with my truck from the get-go, and she really hasn't given me any reason to be concerned. Only real issue I've had was the window/door lock oddity, and that was because the original factory battery needed replaced. It's an addiction . . .

·
Registered
613 Posts
My dad and I knocked my swap out in 30...he has all the proper tools from his mechanic days, it was just a matter of finding them lol

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
yeah it will probably range from 12-20 depending on the shop and their labor rates. sometimes if you call around there are junkyards that do swaps at set rates but they will take a little longer than the average shop.

There's a small scrap yard near me that basically charges you $500 labor for any trans or engine swap, and on top of that they are cheap as hell for parts and will warranty some. Just make sure you call around if you need it done, sometimes you get lucky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts