Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody considered dropping a diesel into their truck? I would think a 4cy. turbo diesel might be fun. I was at a show last weekend and saw a couple of turbo diesel rat rods and it got me thinkin' about dropping one into a Colorado. Just throwing it out there. Anybody have any ideas on a good engine and trans for the swap? I think a 4 cyl Cummins would be awesome!

E

·
0 Posts
...these threads grow tiresome. The odds of you doing anything are 1:10000000, prove me wrong.

HOW ABOUT A FERRARI V12 SWAP?
HOW ABOUT A JET ENGINE SWAP?
HOW ABOUT A 12HP BRIGGS AND STRATTON WITH A QUAD TURBO SWAP?
HOW ABOUT A MERCRUISER OUTBOARD MOTOR SWAP?
HOW ABOUT A ROTARY SWAP?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...these threads grow tiresome. The odds of you doing anything are 1:10000000, prove me wrong.

HOW ABOUT A FERRARI V12 SWAP?
HOW ABOUT A JET ENGINE SWAP?
HOW ABOUT A 12HP BRIGGS AND STRATTON WITH A QUAD TURBO SWAP?
HOW ABOUT A MERCRUISER OUTBOARD MOTOR SWAP?
HOW ABOUT A ROTARY SWAP?
Those all sound like interesting ideas:thumbup: Maybe you could start a different thread for those.

·
The Albertin
1,317 Posts
maybe someone should actually do a swap and quick being all talk no action. oh and theres a search button on this site also. if u need directions to it then let me know and i will try to point u in the right direction

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe someone should actually do a swap and quick being all talk no action. oh and theres a search button on this site also. if u need directions to it then let me know and i will try to point u in the right direction
Wow, tough crowd. Sorry I asked.

E

·
0 Posts
Wow, tough crowd. Sorry I asked.
No, not really...

http://www.355nation.net/forum/engine-swaps/22612-new-thought.html
http://www.355nation.net/forum/engine-swaps/21086-3-6l-v6.html
http://www.355nation.net/forum/engine-swaps/22048-6-2-a.html
http://www.355nation.net/forum/engine-swaps/20342-one-more-step-8-1l.html
http://www.355nation.net/forum/engine-swaps/14620-4-8-anyone.html

...like I said, tiresome. Anything will work in our trucks. That's a no brainer. I could take any engine available and make it work, that's obvious. It comes down to time and money, again obvious.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
it just gets SOOOOOO annoying when someone makes a suggestion about an engine swap when next to NOBODY will ever do one.

what would the point of a 4 cylinder turbo diesel be??? it would still be SLOW as hell, might get descent mileage, but who in their right mind is going to spend THOUSANDS to save dimes???

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
well the after market is now getting up to speed on the 4bt cummins and you can put the allison tranny to it also ya id love to build a 4 bt 450hp 600ft torq ya

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Just wait for the 4.5L Duramax! But for the cost, you might as well buy a new Silvy with it already in there.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
well in an old deisel power mag i got it had a rummer of thr moment of a 4.5 deisel colorado but well see what happends when the mahindra truck comes out next year 4 cyl turbo 6 speed 2x4 or 4x4

·
Registered
94 Posts
Shardbody, I drove a 2010 Ford Mondeo wagon, about the same size as the new Taurus with a 2.2 liter turbo diesel. It had no problem running 230kph while attaining over 25mpg. If you can keep it under 160kph, 35 to 40mpg is very possible. So yeah turbo diesels are fast and quick.

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
Diesel is the way to go for power and economy but our gay ass emissions in the U.S. knocks out a lot of options.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts

You guys need to lighten up...isn't dreaming and talking about or trucks all that this thread is about?

Anyway for those of you that are not rich, and love vehicles and entertaining interesting ideas. Here is a pic of a newer emissions cable ISBE cummins. The displacement is around 3.9L.. I can't imagine this engine fitting it a 2wd, but maybe a 4x4 with a lift..but hey anythings possiable someone put a 6cyl cummins in a S10 blazer!

These engines are available in the current ford F250 over in Brazil.

Hope I didn't upset anyone, but sometimes it is fun to dream!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I learned the hard way to use the search button :) nobody would help me out on my swap so i did my research and started ordering everything i needed on ny own. Btw: dont do a diesel swap dont waste your money

·
Registered
4 Posts

You guys need to lighten up...isn't dreaming and talking about or trucks all that this thread is about?

Anyway for those of you that are not rich, and love vehicles and entertaining interesting ideas. Here is a pic of a newer emissions cable ISBE cummins. The displacement is around 3.9L.. I can't imagine this engine fitting it a 2wd, but maybe a 4x4 with a lift..but hey anythings possiable someone put a 6cyl cummins in a S10 blazer!

These engines are available in the current ford F250 over in Brazil.

Hope I didn't upset anyone, but sometimes it is fun to dream!
there is also a 3.3 liter 4cyl that is made by cummins it is more of an industrial engine though

:355:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
3.9 Is known as the 4BT. Thought about it long and hard when I had my CJ7. But the SBC then BBC route was taken. Due to all the aftermarket support. I have seen bellhousing adapters for the Cummins to Chevy automatics. My biggest concern is making all the electrics work after the swap. Everything is possible however the first guy breaking new ground is always in for the work and cost. Advance Adapters had so much available for conventional gas swaps for S10'S Rangers,Jeeps etc. But the Colorado hasn't garnered much aftermarket support.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Yes the electronics scare me for sure! All of Our gauges operate off, of either a GM LAN line or Can line operated by the PCM, BCM, radio, ABS unit etc.. So if you remove the PCM, and don't replace it like,you would with V8 swap..you are in for a whole whack full of problems! The cummins ECU does not have a GM Lan or Can it uses a commercial vehicle language and that would be like the computer is trying to speak "french" to our "English computer" .. if that makes sense..!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
sadly yes but there is hope their is some new diesels out now that would really set are trucks off one it the new 0.8l cdi thats now going in the smart car or the new vw 2.0 both pass the new epa codes and they will fit in are trucks the cummins are nice but there tall and very heavy look them up on the diesel power mag web site

or just go get a new mahindra truck when they finaly come out

·
Ron Lopes
1,198 Posts
well all n all id love the 4cyl td from thailand, but realistically i could do a 4cy cummins, only problem is...my baby's a daily driver....i cant afford 1 day without er lol...and that could take a week or two

1 - 20 of 92 Posts