Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
definitely a week or two! We all know how it goes! It has taken me almost two months to rebuild the transmission, and replace the clutch on my camaro! A couple of weeks spent thinking about how difficult it would be! three weeks waiting for parts, then a week to rebuild it, than snap a special bolt, wait a week for that to come in, wait for some one to give me hand to get the transmission back wait, wait , wait!!!! ...all in fun of course!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
im really thinking about a diesel swap its been on my mind alot one of the reasons im keeping the truck.. is it realistic to think i could get one and have it be as reliable as it would be stock?

or should i sell my truck while i have low miles for a better one with a much bigger motor than our Colorado offers

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
wait and see if the new colorado has a diesel then yes swap that to keep the feds off ur back if not get a ram 1500 diesel comes out this year

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've always thought a 4bt would be a great swap. I simply cannot believe the amount of ignorance on a diesel being slow and not getting that good of gas mileage. I'm sure a 4bt in a Colorado would get at minimum 30 mpg on the highway and you could gear it way up to use the huge amounts of torque.

·
MTS Crew
1,230 Posts
Ah, college town lol.

In ways id agree, but for more room id rather have a half ton. Its not some much the power in my mind.

·
Registered
510 Posts
When I was overseas we had a Toyota hilux as a fob vehicle. It had a 4 cyl turbo diesel and it had serious balls. It was four wheel drive as well. A turbo diesel would be an awesome swap and it most certainly wouldn't be slow if done right. Don't let the guys who posted on here first discourage you from asking questions. I think its a great idea and I wish you the best of luck. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
It's not the fact it can't be done. It's the fact of legal reasons, emissions and wiring. Won't pass a inspection. To even remotely have a chance at being legal you'd have to find a diesel in something about the same size that passes emissions standards for the same year of your truck. Until it doesn't have to pass emissions most won't dream of putting it in when a lsx can be done legally.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It's not the fact it can't be done. It's the fact of legal reasons, emissions and wiring. Won't pass a inspection. To even remotely have a chance at being legal you'd have to find a diesel in something about the same size that passes emissions standards for the same year of your truck. Until it doesn't have to pass emissions most won't dream of putting it in when a lsx can be done legally.
i know u can put any motor in a ca with enough modifications to make it work after reading threw my law book last night and researching on the internet it would be illegal for my to drop the 4bt motor with an Allison trans into my truck :( :( do to the fact any vehicle in maryland that doesnt come stock with a diesel motor or that its not an option to get it in that vehicle is illegal to drop a diesel into it. due to emissions etc. so i think ill have to go with an ls2 swap when i go to upgrade my motor, unless the new Colorado even thoe the names changed i may be able to buy law put that motor into my truck but ill have to wait and see and do some more research. i have the money saved up and my posts here are not all talk my current motor has 60k miles on it with no issues so i will bang out my other mods on the list until the motor goes bad than hopefully i can swap that motor in. wish me luck when i do it ill be sure to take lots of pics and info for others to follow since it seems no one has done the diesel swap yet.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
i know u can put any motor in a ca with enough modifications to make it work after reading threw my law book last night and researching on the internet it would be illegal for my to drop the 4bt motor with an Allison trans into my truck :( :( do to the fact any vehicle in maryland that doesnt come stock with a diesel motor or that its not an option to get it in that vehicle is illegal to drop a diesel into it. due to emissions etc. so i think ill have to go with an ls2 swap when i go to upgrade my motor, unless the new Colorado even thoe the names changed i may be able to buy law put that motor into my truck but ill have to wait and see and do some more research. i have the money saved up and my posts here are not all talk my current motor has 60k miles on it with no issues so i will bang out my other mods on the list until the motor goes bad than hopefully i can swap that motor in. wish me luck when i do it ill be sure to take lots of pics and info for others to follow since it seems no one has done the diesel swap yet.
thats what i said

epa says must be same year model or newer and yes there is a 4bt you can put under the hood but the engine is 12k just for it so cost is the factor here

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
Depending on location the vehicle might actually have to have had come with a diesel in order to swap it in.

·
Registered
391 Posts
it does matter what the state laws are in your area for swaping motors, but even in California with some of the most strict emission laws, you can still get a highly modified car registered. they have once a year on january 1st a special registration for these said vehicles. they arent supposed to be driven around the same amount as other vehicles, to my knowledge, but its worth a shot to see if everyone elses state has something like this. im originally from florida, so i do not have this issue. FL only has a VIN check for registration purposes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
and just for the record, i will replace my motor with a 4bt and nothing else when the time comes....that may just be awhile though i also only have 60K on my current motor.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts