Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Hells yeah!.. now lets fasten up a crank reluctor, a TB, and pedal in a black box, little programming and get a cluster working properly!

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Wonder how it would fit height wise in a 2wd Colorado? Looks like a clean swap!

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
actually looks like the tach works, maybe the idiot lights go out as well!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
he got it all worked out and every thing he did will swap over to the 355

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
Pretty cool. I wonder what the price diff would be vs a 5.3 swap. It would def be cooler and likely a longer life. If it wasn't too ridiculous it would be nice.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
I think I'll pass, even if you tripled the power, I'm seeing them for about $2k-$3k, with the $ it would take to get it working right put into a v8 it would kill that lil motor

http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/4bt.html

Idk I'm seeing some with decent power, it is cool I'm just curious to how much it would take to build one up a lil. I would take 300hp 500-600ft lbs or so in a diesel over a 5.3 if it didn't cost 3x a 5.3 swap.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I think I'll pass, even if you tripled the power, I'm seeing them for about $2k-$3k, with the $ it would take to get it working right put into a v8 it would kill that lil motor

4BT Cummins Specs & Dimensions

Idk I'm seeing some with decent power, it is cool I'm just curious to how much it would take to build one up a lil. I would take 300hp 500-600ft lbs or so in a diesel over a 5.3 if it didn't cost 3x a 5.3 swap.
start here Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums it cost little to get power out of a cummins

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am the one with the 4bt Hummer you guys have been asking about. Swap was completed in December, but I haven't had much time since then to really dial everything in. I have put 6000 miles on it since the swap though.

As far as I can tell, the 4bt will fit anywhere the I5 fit. Length is actually just a tad shorter, height is a bit taller depending on the turbo to intake tube routing. The motor mounts were designed for a bolt up affair. No welding was done on the frame to get the engine put in. I have not verified if the Hummer perches are identical to the 355.

All gauges work with the 4bt - speedo, tach, temp and fuel level. I still have 3 messages in the DIC - Reduced Power because the throttle body is no longer there and 2 messages about the traction and stability control since the BCM is expecting to see an engine there.

Alternator charging is direct and no longer uses the ECU field signal. Fuel cut solenoid hooks to key power on off the ignition circuit, truck starts just like you would expect any vehicle to, hop in and turn the key.

The motor mounts put the rear of the engine and centerline of the crank in the factory location. Stock driveline is used. The 4L60e bellhousing is specific to the atlas engines and is not a standard chevy pattern. In order to get the transmission to work, I needed to swap the bellhousing, had to swap the input shaft and of course a different torque converter. I used an adapter from PATC ($$). The transmission is controlled by a standalone unit from USShift. Other than the transmission mods, the driveline is stock.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Very slick Setup! And welcome to the nation buddy!

:welcome2:

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Such a clean install, and love the balancer trigger wheel setup you made!

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
He says " I am the one you seek" lol. That's awesome. Wish I had the time and knowledge.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am the one with the 4bt Hummer you guys have been asking about. Swap was completed in December, but I haven't had much time since then to really dial everything in. I have put 6000 miles on it since the swap though.

As far as I can tell, the 4bt will fit anywhere the I5 fit. Length is actually just a tad shorter, height is a bit taller depending on the turbo to intake tube routing. The motor mounts were designed for a bolt up affair. No welding was done on the frame to get the engine put in. I have not verified if the Hummer perches are identical to the 355.

All gauges work with the 4bt - speedo, tach, temp and fuel level. I still have 3 messages in the DIC - Reduced Power because the throttle body is no longer there and 2 messages about the traction and stability control since the BCM is expecting to see an engine there.

Alternator charging is direct and no longer uses the ECU field signal. Fuel cut solenoid hooks to key power on off the ignition circuit, truck starts just like you would expect any vehicle to, hop in and turn the key.

The motor mounts put the rear of the engine and centerline of the crank in the factory location. Stock driveline is used. The 4L60e bellhousing is specific to the atlas engines and is not a standard chevy pattern. In order to get the transmission to work, I needed to swap the bellhousing, had to swap the input shaft and of course a different torque converter. I used an adapter from PATC ($$). The transmission is controlled by a standalone unit from USShift. Other than the transmission mods, the driveline is stock.

Hey I posted your stuff here when you started a few months ago also!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, SolidusJ. I had some interest from here via PM and a few cross posts. I wanted to get everything up and running before I posted to make sure I could handle most of the questions I might get about it.

I would think this would be by far the easiest small truck platform to do a 4bt swap into. Far easier than a ranger or S-10. The block of the 4bt is almost identical to the I5, almost smaller. The oil pan is a bit taller though, but that could be overcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CaseyS have you thought about makeing more of those motor mounts.
Yes, I'll be working with my fabricator on offering these in the future. I plan on including the full set of what would be needed.

Motor mounts.
A/C compressor bracket
Alternator bracket
Crank trigger bracket

This will enable you to run the factory A/C compressor but would require a CS144 alternator as I have in my setup. I could not get the factory pad mount alternator to mock up in any orientation that I liked.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts