Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
what is the weight difference between the 4bt and the i-5? ive been trying to find the weight of our i-5 for awhile now and cant seem to find it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know it is a old thread . The best diesel for the conversion would be the om602. I'm just waiting for my 3.5 to go south then I'll do mine . No need to do a conversion until it quits in my opinion. Heck that could be years and I maybe using a hoover round by then .

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes it is possible.
I have a 2010 Colorado 5 speed rwd that we will be putting in a Kubota diesel engine in.
if you have a 4x4 it will be a lot harder as you have a front diff to work around, so you would need a body lift in order to close your hood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
swapping to a diesel is not that hard..... if it is RWD not 4x4. if you have a 4x4 it will be a bit of a pain as the front diff is in the way. you will need to put a body lift in so hood can close. couple things to note... diesels do not need next to no electronics to run, but the canyon or Colorado have tones. trans adapter plate and engine mounts will be the hardest thing to get 100% oh if you have auto trans consider swapping to manual as the tranny has sensors and more then likely blow up with the torque of a diesel.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow guy's dream a little!! It has not even been a year since i was dreaming of a v8 colorado. Now i do at least 1 burnout each day to satisfy my inner 10 year old. The 4bt is a boat anchor industrial engine SO HEAVY. Check out the cummins repower website and check out what the jeep guys are doing with the 4cyl ISX R2.8.

https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower
stock 160hp/267ftlb should boil tires i was looking at the option for my wifes xj Cherokee because she complains how my v8 canyon gets better mileage than her jeep 4.0 which it does. So ls swap or this r2.8 have not decided yet. But please don't rain on someones dream parade because you feel it's beating a dead horse.....Because when someone starts a swap even if its been done a million times it is still new and exiting to them. Dream on brothers With out the dreams first WE would never build anything cool and then you would just be one of those sad people who See a vehicle purely as a means of transportation and nothing more. I myself can not live that way! Im going to bed my 2ct has been played sir's. Goodnight all...........

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've done swaps before. Colorado and canyon are no different then any other rwd vehicle. I am swapping my 2.9 2010 to a v2403 turbo kubota motor in the next year. Would do it sooner but as right now I don't have time as it is my daily. Biggest thing is with a diesel swap you want to find a motor similar size and weight. Do some research the v2403 and v2203 are similar weight and size of motor is not much different. Modify oil pan for the 4x4 or get a cowel hood so engine can sit up a bit. Your ECU and ECM wont make a difference. You will just have a engine light on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mercedes came out with a om617 and a om606 both turbo if you’re looking for less weight just need to find a adapter plate and a trani swap idk. I’m looking to do one on my Toyota Tacoma thought a Chevy Colorado would have a similar way to do it and I seen a 4bt Cummins ford ranger that was sweet auto trani I think. Dig deep enough I’m sure you’ll find what need. Sites like these are good too. Know the inside and out of the truck to so you can get the right adapter and any other pieces for your powerhouse upgrade and swap. Good luck!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts