Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I just got back from TDY for 3 months and I decided I was gonna give my old gal some tender love and care with my time off. I took an angle grinder with wire wheel and started attacking my frame to remove as much rust as I could and then rattle can it to somewhat protect it.

The rear part of the frame is the worst, given the rest of the truck is pretty bad (2004 with about 155k miles). When I was underneath I discovered this on the drivers side under the rear leaf spring mount. The hole to the left wasn't there until I pushed on it. The hole on the right is obviously factory but is cracking to the left. I am pretty much wondering how worried I should be about this, and what I could do about it. I am also afraid that with all of the crap inside the frame that it could also be rusting from the inside out. Being right where the mount is, I can assume that part of the frame could take a lot of the stress in the rear...So, how bad is it?

Edit: And it looks kinda wet because I had already started grinding away at that section.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I know it wouldn't pass a state inspection in NY. Looks like you need a new frame. You could probably have it repaired but if the rest of the frame looks like that then you might want to look into getting a used frame from a newer model.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In NJ they don't look at anything other than emissions. And really only the rear looks bad, but this is just the worst spot. Getting a new frame doesn't seem like it would be worth with this many miles and considering the body has some rust as well along the bottom. Not sure when to call it quits :cry:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts