Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 crew cab. There is no switch to shut off the passanger side front airbag. I have to be able to put a car seat in the front because my two younger twins are in the back. There is not enough room in the back from all three car seats. Any idea on how to shut the air bags offs?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
There is no provision in the Crew Cab to deactivate the front passenger airbag. There is a plug under the seat that will disconnect the sensor that tells the system that the seat is occupied. The airbag connector will also remove the airbag from the system. Of course, none of these suggestions is a valid way to address the problem and doing either will cause the entire SIR System to be disabled. In that condition none of the inflatable restraints will be operational.

Edit: The airbag is activated by weight. There is a chance that the seat/child weight combination may not be sufficient to activate the airbag, so it might be worthwhile to check to see if that is the case. If the passenger airbag "off" light remains illuminated, you should be okay.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I do not have a better answer then provided above.

I have 2 kids, so I'm not in your situation. But as one father to another, I would consult your local dealer for the no shit answer. This is not something to dismiss.

If you do consult your dealer, can you please let us know what the answer is.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Glad to see responses from others with similar vehicles and families. Facts are good, but nothing beats hands on experience.

·
the guy that always on
3,241 Posts
My truck is an 06 and my daughter rides up front all the time in a car seat. The weight sensor doesn't notice her and the airbag stays off. Just make sure the dash indicator shows that it's off.

Consulting the dealer wouldn't be a bad idea tho as they may can tell you at what weight the air bag turns on

(mobile)

·
252,000+ Miles
1,316 Posts
There is a plug under the seat that will disconnect the sensor that tells the system that the seat is occupied.

Edit: The airbag is activated by weight.
Actually none of that information is correct. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PUT YOUR KID IN YOUR FRONT SEAT IN A 2004-2005 Crew, and most Extendeds.

Only 2006+ trucks got weight sensors, 2004-2005 trucks got a keyed shutoff switch, which only came in extended cab fleet with no rear seating, and regular cab trucks. The sensor under the seat is just a position sensor which changes the force with which the passenger airbag deploys.

You can install an airbag cutoff switch, but only after you go to the NHTSA and get their permission. You also have to notify your insurance company of the change in factory safety equipment.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/ON-OFF+Switch+Requests

This says that you can only have an authorized shop do the install, but I am working on a how-to for our trucks as we speak since I have the 2005 extended cab with rear seating, but the rear seats are too small for a forward facing carseat. Rear facing works, by 1/4" with a chicco keyfit 30. My son is currently 9months old and 21lbs, so I have to get it done soon.

Once I get the work done myself, I will take it to a shop and have them inspect and sign off on it for significantly less $$ invested. The pigtail and switch/4x4 module are available from the dealership, and the BCM for the trucks is identical so once the switch is spliced in, it will work correctly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the information. My 05 never has an air bag on or off indicator. I think I will call factory and ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts