Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some piktars of the truck in action. Mmmmmm, can you say body roll? :D

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line.....

sixsixracer's '07 CC ZQ8 with only 1500 miles on it. The stock Goodyear RSA's are begging for mercy. :lol:

Two photo albums from people that were at the event.

http://public.fotki.com/DAWilliams/winged-warrior-3/

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/BodyDroppedNikes/Winged Warrior 3/

Video of the quickest 1/4 mile E.T. at the event - Buschur Powered Evo VIII going [email protected]! :econo:

I actually got to watch him make this run, I was staged about 2 cars behind him. Watching it take off was insane! He was kicked off the track for not having a roll cage after this run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGyHYF_ZoUs

I placed horribly in my class. I was last in the autoX and the truck ran slower in the drags than it has in a year. It was heat soaked since I wound up going straight from the autoX to the drags. I did manage to beat a few cars in the autoX a stock truck has no business beating, an RX-8 and a newer Mustang. They must have murdered some cones. All in all it was still the most fun I've had in a long time. Hopefully I'll get selected to compete next year. If I don't then I'll definitely still go as there were a ton of badass cars out there tearing it up.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun!! Definitely something I'd love to try. :cool:

It doesn't look like it, but is your truck lowered at all?

Even a mild 2/3 drop will drastically reduce body roll. It's crazy.

[EDIT]: Just watched the video and DAYUM! That car is faaaast! lol.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm not dropped any. All I had in my posession to put on before the event was 2" balljoints and 1" blocks. I don't think being 2" closer to the fender wells on the same stock springs would have helped me, as you can tell by the pictures I was already close to rubbing with the stock stuff. I'm considering getting rid of the BJ's now and just running the 4203 springs instead, since the autoX was pretty fun and I wouldn't mind doing it again. I think I could actually be pretty competitive with some different tires and more experience. My best raw time wasn't THAT far off the "average" pace of cars that should handle better, and a lot of them were on far better tires and expensive coilover setups. My biggest hindrence wasn't really the body roll or suspension. It was lack of experience, shitty tires, and the automatic taking forever to downshift. I left a lot of time on the course, there were several things I noticed watching others after I was done that would have shaved a lot of time off my runs.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
i never got the chance to AUTOX i would have loved to try..looks like you had a good day doin it

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
could try the bigger belltech sway bars I'm thinking of getting a set

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
could try the bigger belltech sway bars I'm thinking of getting a set
I was told the Belltech bars weren't much of an improvement over the stock ZQ8 piece's. Stocker2 said Hellwig was making swaybars for the 355's now, I need to check into those.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm running 255/45/17 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's.

Yes, the CC Colorado beat me. :lol:

On my quickest pass I ran a 1:12.384 but hit 2 cones. 1 cone = 2 second penalty, he ran a 1:16.0xx without hitting any cones so he finished ahead of me. I was shaving 3-4 seconds off on every run, but is just wasn't enough. The guy in the SSR did pretty damn good for driving a 4800lb tank, he ran like a 1:11.xxx.

Z

·
0 Posts
I'm running 255/45/17 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's.

Yes, the CC Colorado beat me. :lol:

On my quickest pass I ran a 1:12.384 but hit 2 cones. 1 cone = 2 second penalty, he ran a 1:16.0xx without hitting any cones so he finished ahead of me. I was shaving 3-4 seconds off on every run, but is just wasn't enough. The guy in the SSR did pretty damn good for driving a 4800lb tank, he ran like a 1:11.xxx.
damn, sounds like the truck is certainly capable of more....but is the driver? heh

not that i have room to talk lol

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dunno if I'm capable of more, I'd like to find out though. Either way it's a ton of fun. I'd bet you have autoX's in your area, I'll see if I can find the website so you can find your local site.

My only concern is that so far everyone I know of that's tried to regularly autoX a 355 has wound up with damage to their engine from oil starvation. Our oil pans don't have any baffles to keep the oil on the sump, and I'm told our engines like to retain oil in the head if they're kept at high rev's for an extended period. Those two conditions combined with sticky tires, a good driver, and a truck that handles better than it should are recipes for trouble.

Z

·
0 Posts
I dunno if I'm capable of more, I'd like to find out though. Either way it's a ton of fun. I'd bet you have autoX's in your area, I'll see if I can find the website so you can find your local site.

My only concern is that so far everyone I know of that's tried to regularly autoX a 355 has wound up with damage to their engine from oil starvation. Our oil pans don't have any baffles to keep the oil on the sump, and I'm told our engines like to retain oil in the head if they're kept at high rev's for an extended period. Those two conditions combined with sticky tires, a good driver, and a truck that handles better than it should are recipes for trouble.
If you can help me find the next event, that would be great. All the ones ive looked at require a signup/membership and right now i just wanna test the waters.

You have a 3.5 right?? Ever though of going to a shop and seeing if they could build you a oil pan or weld a baffle onto the oem pan.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I've got a 3.5. I'm going to pull the head/oil pan off of the other engine I've got here pretty soon just so I can look into having baffles put into it. I don't think swapping the pan will be that difficult, although I haven't looked really closely yet. I wouldn't want to build a seperate pan since our oil pans are designed to increase the rigidity of the engine block.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
that evo is siiiiccckkk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts