Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you think the best way to remove the door molding would be

ive heard heating it up with hair dryer

my friend also has some bottle stuff that is supposed to remove the glue or something...

what do you think guys i want to do this tomorrow

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Yea, a hair dryer would work. Just get something thin and plastic (so you don't scratch the paint), but sturdy enough to pry the end of the moulding off, then you can just grab the thing and rip it off. You won't damage the door at all. You don't need "fishing wire" or "piano string" or anything like that, just bend the edge up and don't be a pussy! hahaha

Then you'll have to rub your ass off with the goo gone or whatever he's bringing over.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha couple of hours then huh

yeah ill have to see if i can get that stuff from him otherwise i wont have anything for it

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yea, a hair dryer would work. Just get something thin and plastic (so you don't scratch the paint), but sturdy enough to pry the end of the moulding off, then you can just grab the thing and rip it off. You won't damage the door at all. You don't need "fishing wire" or "piano string" or anything like that, just bend the edge up and don't be a pussy! hahaha

Then you'll have to rub your ass off with the goo gone or whatever he's bringing over.
also tape the paint off next to the molding plus if the tape sticks to the truck and not the molding you can most times put it off by pullin in a 45 degree angle :true:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also tape the paint off next to the molding plus if the tape sticks to the truck and not the molding you can most times put it off by pullin in a 45 degree angle :true:

dont quite follow that what would taping it do?

also what is the best thing to scrub it (as in rags not the googone) with so i dont hurt the paint

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Your thumb.....lol

It sucks without the proper tool. We have an "eraser wheel" at work you just put on the end of a drill and literally...."erase" the 2 sided tape off. Zips right through the shit. If you can find an auto body supply store open tomorrow, I HIGHLY recommend buying one. Your thumb will thank you! lol

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm might have to wait till tuesday then cuz i dont think any are open thanks man

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
Yeah your thumb will definately thanks you, My blister just healed from the work it did on the 3m tape from my vent visors I did 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
dont quite follow that what would taping it do?

also what is the best thing to scrub it (as in rags not the googone) with so i dont hurt the paint
when you slide anything under the molding even plastic its gonna scratch the paint so i put tape on each side of the molding and even tape a putty spreader up and then slide it under the molding

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
i just slid some fishing line under it part way, then pulled it off. and grabbed the tape with my fingers and pulled it all off. then took the goo gone and rubbed it out.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your thumb.....lol

It sucks without the proper tool. We have an "eraser wheel" at work you just put on the end of a drill and literally...."erase" the 2 sided tape off. Zips right through the shit. If you can find an auto body supply store open tomorrow, I HIGHLY recommend buying one. Your thumb will thank you! lol
hey just wondering is this that tool you mentioned?

Motor Guard Stripe Eliminator System [JLM4000S] - $23.97 :

if so i can get it at oreillys let me know please!

J

·
0 Posts
i used a credit card, or a tough plastic card like that to take off the glue :shrug: just make sure you clean the area and wax it good afterwards though :355:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
heat it with a hairdryer, rather than a heat gun, pretty hard to ruin paint with a hair dryer. As for the glue that's left, generously spray with WD40,let sit for 2-3 minutes and it should rub of nicely with an old terry towel. This is best done one a clean truck, as yo do not want to rub dirt into your finish.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
about how long do i hold the dryer on there before th glue starts to loosen?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
about 20 minutes.

you should just use a hammer and chisel instead.

:lol2:

haha you know i do got that three pound sledge that hasnt been used for a while...its needs to go to work. ill consider this one and let you know how it turns out ok

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok tried the sledge hammer and chisel...i wouldnt recommend it...so nobody try this one ok, greg is an idiot... so yeah... lol jk greg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts