Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
how does a 2015 not come with HIDs..?
Nope. Only halogen bulbs behind a projector lense. Lower model Colorado trucks reflector style headlights.

·
CALI BOSS
6,269 Posts
I ordered a set. Unfortunately, it won't arrive my house until after I leave for the holidays, so I won't know if it actually works until I get back home New Years week. Since it looks plug-n-play, I'll just attach the install on here since it's related to this. Stay tuned...
It will work. I've installed them on several GM cars with DRL headlights and will soon install them on my new Terrain if I decide to not try the LED bulbs. The relay system using 12v+ direct from battery to power the ballasts. The other side of the relay connects to the factory headlight plug nearest the battery and is only used to trigger the relay and can handle the pulsed (not lower voltage) power of the DRL circuit.

The DRL system run through the headlights is why GM has not adopted HIDs.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
HID drl from the factory have been available for a few years now on the Malibu. Guess you can't get them on all models. That kind of sucks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I've installed the anti-flicker power harness from OPT-7 and it hasn't corrected the flickering problem I'm getting when my DRLs are on. I've emailed OPT-7 tech support. Here's a video of the problem
http://youtu.be/l-PJTqhxX_s

·
CALI BOSS
6,269 Posts
I was reading on a GMC terrain forum that the newer systems require a capacitor harness or Opt7's ARC ballasts. The DRL pulse frequency of the BCM's can-bus system will also cause the relay harness to flicker.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The OPT7 capacitors came in today ($5.99/pr). Two came in the package but I only need one that goes from the factory headlight plug to the relay. It took about 4 seconds to install it. AND IT FIXED IT!! No more buzzing, flickering, strobing, etc. I was really worried I was going to have to pull everything out. So I'll be editing the original post to say you MUST have this capacitor in order for this to work.

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
The OPT7 capacitors came in today ($5.99/pr). Two came in the package but I only need one that goes from the factory headlight plug to the relay. It took about 4 seconds to install it. AND IT FIXED IT!! No more buzzing, flickering, strobing, etc. I was really worried I was going to have to pull everything out. So I'll be editing the original post to say you MUST have this capacitor in order for this to work.
Thanks for the heads up. Now when mine comes in I can make the change.

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
Do you know if your Opt7 HIDs are their bolt ac or blitz series?

I can get their blitz series 35w bulbs for $40 (3000 LM) or their bolt ac series for $65 (3400 LM)?

·
CALI BOSS
6,269 Posts
Do you know if your Opt7 HIDs are their bolt ac or blitz series?

I can get their blitz series 35w bulbs for $40 (3000 LM) or their bolt ac series for $65 (3400 LM)?
From my understanding, if you go with the Blitz line you will need the capacitor kit. The ARC line is supposed to have the capacitor built into the ballasts

21 - 40 of 42 Posts