Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok i started off with the 60/40 split. i had the one with the folding arm rest and reclining seats with the lumbar support. So i now have a funtional bucket seat. when i did this mod it was a spur of the moment deal (like most of my stuff) so i didn't take any pictures of what i did but i can get pictures of the finished product. and now on to the how to section of this.

1. Remove Seat from truck.
2. unbolt the arm rest from the seat frame. (if you have one)
3. unclip the upholstry from the middle section of the seat, and fold back exposing the foam.
4. the middle seat frame is welded to the main seat frame. I took a sawsall and cut it off. Should only need to cut it in 3 or 4 places. Update below as of 03/09/08.
5. Cut the foam off along the indentation along the top of the foam with a utility knife.
6. Cut the grey clips off of the upholstry.
7. Fold the extra material under the seat and attch it with screws to the seat frame. I used self drilling drywall screws to run through the metal.
8. reattach the seat in the truck.

It took me about 45 min to an hour to do this mod. if you have any additional questions please feel free to PM me.

Here are the pics of every thing installed. i know its dirty inside i'm sorry!
here is the console and seat.

here is how i folded the extra material

the fold again

with the seat cover you cant even tell!

Update:
Spyman8 said:
Cut on it. The top part is more complex than the bottom.

It looks like this.

I had to drill holes in the plate and connect them with a hacksaw, and then just broke the bar off.

Step 4:
Cut some more. The bottom part is the easiest. You have to make two cuts with the hacksaw and you're done. Once you open up your seat, you will know what has to be cut.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Re: 60/40 Bench to Bucket Conversion

nice...that looks good

·
Registered
5,090 Posts

Damn...I wish I had the armrest version...I would have to cut and fold along the side of the seat back too... :mav:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah i was going to do it for a buddy of mine and he has the seat back extened as well so its a no go on that!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

looks good man.. i'm to scared i'll fuck up and it'll look uglyl.. great job man

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts

That's a stock Colorado/Canyon center console. I have one just like it, straight from the factory.

·
Registered
81 Posts

man I need to get rid of my bench... it's terrible. anyone here crash a H3 lately and want to give me the seats??

no eh...

·
Registered
217 Posts

You can cut down a bench with the extended back rest. It's a little more labor intesive and there is a lot more extra fabric to deal with but you can do it. Just be carefull you don't cut off too much of the foam. You will deffinately need some seat covers afterwards!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Re: How-To: 60/40 Bench to Bucket Conversion

I'm workin on this one right now :)
You will love it!

I know I do, it is by far the single most important mod I have done.

Plus, it takes balls to cut up you seat like this, but it is rather simple.

·
Registered
738 Posts

project status as of 8/02/08: middle portion including frame is out thanks to help of hacksaw. Will be getting new covers tommorow and will post pics.

*note to self* take seats out of truck next time to do any further mods
*2nd note to self* lost 15lbs of water weight due to sweating inside of truck. Regained it with big macs and coke....blasted fat...archnemisis....veering off topic...

·
Registered
271 Posts

i've done this mod MANY MANY times to s10's. Center console covers up any evidence nicely.

·
Registered
738 Posts

Before:

here's what mine looks like now
(mossy oak themed)

They sure as hell aren't the best covers, but they will do for now. I still gotta trim a lil bit of frame off the bottom, but fuck it for now. I love the extra room it gives me without the center crap

·
Registered
84 Posts
would i be able to make this work on an 07 canyon 60/40 split no center arm rest which is what i am going for would it fold down as an arm rest it is just the regular seats that lean forward

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
would i be able to make this work on an 07 canyon 60/40 split no center arm rest which is what i am going for would it fold down as an arm rest it is just the regular seats that lean forward

You can cut down a bench with the extended back rest. It's a little more labor intesive and there is a lot more extra fabric to deal with but you can do it. Just be carefull you don't cut off too much of the foam. You will deffinately need some seat covers afterwards!
there ya go... yes but its a little more work

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I know this is old, but i found a console for a good deal, and am finally thinkin im gonna do this...I was just wondering if there was any more updates to this...any new things people have found since...new tips...stuff like that...

1 - 20 of 118 Posts