Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
VTCanyon

Project Name
How-To: Add a Hood Insulator

Project Description
Install a Hood Insulator from 09+ Trucks in a 04-08 Truck

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: Yes

Parts Needed
(1) Hood Insulator, GM Part # 25863980, approx. $60-65
(7) Retainer Pins, GM Part # 20064875, approx. $1.50 each

Tools Needed
Rubbing Alcohol & Paper Towels (to clean hood)

Project Time
30 minutes or less

Project Cost
Approximately $90

A hood insulator can help reduce engine noise, retain engine heat in the winter, and help keep your hood from becoming very hot in the summer. Trucks built in 2009 and after came with a hood insulator from the factory. The factory hoods, even in the earlier trucks, were designed for a hood insulator.

NOTE: Before ordering the parts for this mod, verify that you have a factory hood with pre-punched holes for the insulator retainer pins.

The longest part of this mod is cleaning the underside of your hood.

Your insulator will arrive in a BIG lightweight box.

Step 1:
Since you will be installing the hood insulator over the inside of your hood, likely permanently, you should clean any dirt, grime, etc. off before getting started.

Before:

After:

Step 2:

Note the factory provided holes in the hood where the retainer pins will be going.

Step 3:
Unpack the insulator from the box and hold up to align with the factory holes. The side with indentations faces the hood. The smooth side with only indentations for the pins should face out. The stamped tabs in the hood will also hold the insulator while you insert the pins.

Step 4:
Insert the plugs, starting with the front and center and work your back towards the rear of the hood.

Step 5:
Step back and admire your new hood insulator.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did you notice a considerable noise reduction when when starting up the truck? I've always felt that my truck was pretty loud every time I start it up.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Is there any real benefit for this or strictly for sound and appearance? I think it looks good. Just don't know if its worth it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The benefits that I outlined up top are:
- retain engine heat in the winter
- prevent your hood from being very hot in the summer
- noise dampening while driving

You're not likely to see a huge improvement on engine startup, but more likely while driving.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Well done, nice cheap mod

·
Roll Damn Tide!
631 Posts
Superb job!! Will def put on the to do list! :thumbup:

·
Roll Damn Tide!
631 Posts
Czkrebbs,

It does make a HUGE difference in road noise. I have rode in a Colorado that had one and noticed it right away.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So, I'm assuming the goodmark cowl hood has the holes necessary for the retainer pins...?

Also, where did you purchase this hood insulator from? I'm finding most places to have ridiculous shipping prices.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
So, I'm assuming the goodmark cowl hood has the holes necessary for the retainer pins...?

Also, where did you purchase this hood insulator from? I'm finding most places to have ridiculous shipping prices.
Some things are better off purchased from a Dealer, especially if the cost difference is going to be about the same. One advantage is that you can reject it at the source, if there is any damage, instead of having to pay to ship it back. This is one item that would be easy to damage in shipment. Notice the shipping container in the OP's picture. Dealer price should be around $88.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
252,000+ Miles
1,316 Posts
I ordered mine from Nalley GMC online parts: Chevrolet Parts, Cadillac Parts, GMC Parts and Buick Parts powered by Nalley Buick GMC | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick. I did not have any issues receiving and the shipping was reasonable.

After 1 month I can say that this makes a huge difference in engine noise at any speed above 25 mph. Much quieter on the highway too!
Nally sent me an email telling me the part was discontinued and canceled my order last Tuesday.

All the other guys want more $$ for shipping than the part actually costs. Screw that.

ETA Placed the order again and referenced this post showing someone got one last month. We'll see how that goes...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts