Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
mOWWck

Project Name
How to add HMMWV shackles to your frame horns

Project Description
Add functional shackles to the holes in the frame horn that already exist for the factory tow hooks. This project is intended for users who's trucks did not come with factory tow hooks, for those that can't afford a nice shackle kit, or who want a different look with functionality for their truck. Using the frame horn as a mounting point is beneficial for towing and recovery.

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2008
Engine: 3.7L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
15mm socket
3/4" socket
3/4" wrench

Parts Needed
The shackles can come from eBay or any surplus store. The shackle hardware is not required... Just the shackles themselves are needed.

Grade 8 Hardware Recommended
(2) 1/2" x 5" bolts
(2) 1/2" nylon lock nuts
(2) 1/2" x 5/8" x 1" steel spacers
(2) 1/2 flat washers

-OPTIONAL-
Drill with 1/2" Drill Bit
Can of black spray paint

Project Time
2 hours or less

Project Cost
Shackle: ~$20
Hardware: $12.50 (Grade 8)

Extra Readings
It is strongly recommended that these following How To's be read:

Example of tow hooks purchased from eBay. These HMMWV shackles are from a M998 and may have some prior use. The hardware will not be needed.

1. First, the grill and the bumper need to be removed. Consult the "Extra Readings" that are posted above if you do not know how to accomplish this, they are great How To's.

You should end up with something like this:

2. Some 355s will have prior tow hooks with holes present, some will have holes with no tow hooks, and some may not have holes at all. Depending on your situation, you may have to drill out the frame horns. This process is explained well in the Factory Tow Hook How To.

This Colorado already had holes drilled in the frame horns, but didn't have tow hooks. So no drilling was necessary

The shackle eyes have an ID of 5/8" and use 5/8" hardware, but the frame horns have an ID of 1/2". This is why the steel spacers are required. This eliminates the need to bore out the frame horns to a larger diameter since there is a lot of extra metal that would need to be drilled through.

3. Once you have drilled out the holes if necessary, install the shackles by placing the steel spacers in the eye bolts, then threading the 1/2" bolt through the frame horns and tightening the 1/2" lock nut on the opposing side. I have mine pretty snug so they do not bounce around.

4. Lastly, the bumper needs to be cut so the frame horns and the shackles will be exposed. How you do it is completely up to you. You can remove the lower bumper all together or trim the required areas.

And there you are!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
any pics of how this mod looks with the bumper and grill back in place?
I mean the whole front end of the truck :)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
doesn´t look bad at all. I may try doing this to my Z71 and moving the hooks to the Z85.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts