Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
draggin az

Project Name
How-to bake Your Headlights

Project Description
Removing the reflectors from your headlights for a clean look

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet/GMC
Model: Colorado/Canyon
Year: Any
Engine: Any
Power windows: Any
Sun Roof: Any

Tool Needed
Oven
Baking Tray
Screw Driver
Butter Knife
Silicone

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
Effort

This is a clip that you have to push there is 4 of them

Behind the drl is a metel clip that you have to pull really, really hard in order to "unclip it"

What is looks like "unclipped" now you have 5 of those. one on each side of the grille behind the drl and 3 on the bottom. if you pull down in the grille you can see them.

Here is where they are located on the grille. Just pull hard insuring not to scratch anything. It is a lil bit of a pain in the butt getting this portion off.

Headlights come off by these two 10mm bolts.

Front end torn apart

Clip to take the drl off the grille. Turn the grill to the side and on the other side of the grille you will have to "unclip it" from there. that is the mechanical part of it.

Now from here preheat your oven to what ever the lowest setting is. mine just happened to be 170.

Let it bake in the oven for 20 min. Be careful taking out of the oven for it is hot. once you have it out put the next one in.

I used a screw driver to pry all the sides lose then used a butter knife to loosen it even more. after it was good and lose I pried it apart using my hands.

The reflector in the headlights are clipped in. mine I just had to slide it to the side and it fell out.

As for the drl's the reflector is glued in. use a flat head wrapped in a towel so you don’t scratch it up and that’s what I did. just go along the sides and "lift" it up. DO NOT go underneath the reflector with the screwdriver.

HEADLIGHTS

Put back in the oven to let the old silicone soften up for 20 min. then use a flathead screw driver to "dig" out the old silicone. Then using black silicone...well silicone it back together. Squeeze it back together. For best results put back into the oven for 20 min. Take it out and squeeze again. Let them cool off the put them back on the truck. (I did this method with the white truck and they haven’t leaked yet)

Using the original black silicone put them back together. Bake them for another 20 min. once the 20 min is up squeeze them back together and let them set. I put them on the floor (carpet of course) and used my weight to compress them back together. I held them for like 2 min and let them set.

DRL

Are a little tricky getting back together. I let them bake after getting the reflector off for another 20 and cut the sealant out. Then I used black silicone not too much b/c it will squirt out of the sides and in the inside of the headlamp.

Clean up and get that front end back on your truck before your neighbors are wondering what you are doing!

Keep in mind that this is a risk. You risk scratching the chrome on your drl's, breaking something, or getting silicone every where. But isn’t mini truckin a risk all together? also remember to have fun. b/c that is what this is about. good luck!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Re: How to bake your headlight *PICS*

Nice write up....and good pics. Have any of you pulling the DRL apart?

PS - Anyone that painted their lamps....do you pics of this process.

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

yep and you wrote this in that tread
pics would help...
and mine has pics

Nice write up....and good pics. Have any of you pulling the DRL apart?

PS - Anyone that painted their lamps....do you pics of this process.
ya i had a lil bit of troubles, but a screwdriver and some elbo greese got it apart.

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

i know n i was kiddin back

thank you for moving my thread to its proper place

i dint know where to put it:shrug:

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: How to bake your headlight take 2 *PICS*

go tucson that is a good idea

i dont know how many times i got really pissed off tryin to pullem off and jerked on it as hard as i possilbly could. then the grill would swing back with a loud banging noise.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Re: How-To: Bake Your Headlights

I NEED to bake my lights. When i went offroading it messed em all up so now theres TONS of water in them!

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

nice writup i just fucked mine up :( lol, should have let them bake longer
thanks man

sorry to hear. if it makes you feel any better i fudged mine up as well. scratched the chrome on the passengers side drl

ya you have to lettem go for about 20min
I NEED to bake my lights. When i went offroading it messed em all up so now theres TONS of water in them!
wow that really sucks

are they aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts

damn i feel so much better :) lol, ya its scratched up pretty bad. i think im gonna get new ones with headlights... and new LED tails :)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

did mine on sunday,200 degrees for 20-25 min they came apart like a hot knife thru butter.I also scratched the chrome getting the reflecter off the drl's so I just sprayed that part flat black and i'm sooo glad I did,now it matches the headlight and goes alot better with my theme

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

I can't believe I still haven't done this...:lol:
get to it man its soooo easy,just gotta take your time.I say get to it but it took me forever to do it cause I was scurred,but it was very easyand almost free,gotta love that.

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

damn i feel so much better :) lol, ya its scratched up pretty bad. i think im gonna get new ones with headlights... and new LED tails :)
ebay $20 for a new drl

i learned the hard way to wrap my flat head in a towel or even a dry wash rag would work.

did mine on sunday,200 degrees for 20-25 min they came apart like a hot knife thru butter.I also scratched the chrome getting the reflecter off the drl's so I just sprayed that part flat black and i'm sooo glad I did,now it matches the headlight and goes alot better with my theme
i noticed that and it looks good man:355:
I can't believe I still haven't done this...:lol:
whimp:kiki2:

·
Registered
836 Posts

thanks man

sorry to hear. if it makes you feel any better i fudged mine up as well. scratched the chrome on the passengers side drl

ya you have to lettem go for about 20min

wow that really sucks

are they aftermarket?
Nah man they are stock. They have like insane condensation in them 24/7 it never goes away.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts