Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
critterCQB

Project Name
Center Console Qi Wireless Charger

Project Description
Install a Wireless Charger for Near Field Communication (NFC) capable devices

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: Yes

Tools Needed
Two large flat-head screwdrivers, Duct Tape, Qi Wireless Charger, NFC capable phone or device

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
$8.00

1. So, I recently noticed that my naked Nexus 4 drops perfectly into the larger bin of my center console. (2006 Chevrolet Colorado) I figured, I could probably put a wireless charger under there.

2. Instead of ripping the entire console out, I noticed that I could just pop the "bins" out. Two large flat-head screwdrivers, some muscle, patience and it was out.

3. With the suggestion of a redditor on r/nexu4, I picked this thing up on ebay for under $8. It's VERY light, but a bit large. About the size of a Galaxy Note or Nexus 6.

4. After some connectivity testing and finding the "sweet spot", I used some high-speed, fibrous adhesive straps to connect the qi charger to the bottom side of the bins.

5. Snapped the bins back in and plugged it up.

6. BOOM, wireless charging-isms when I set the phone down.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Brilliant Idea!!! This also will work with Nokia Lumia Phones. I have a 820 and is NFC capable too.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Well done and like Rich, thanks for your contribution and thinking outside the box :thumbup:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great idea! I'm gonna go check if my nexus 5 will fit in that spot. Which qi charger you used?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dammit my nexus 5 is too big to fit there but I'll figure something out.

·
Old Guy
611 Posts
great write up. I stole power from the heater motor. easy access from behind the glove box. That way auto power off when the truck is off..

·
Registered
371 Posts
I really wanted to do this in my truck but in the armrest area (5 speed truck).

Great write up, can't wait to get my truck back and get started on the little mods lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any issues the RF interference or heat?
Nothing that I've noticed. No RF interference, no heat. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Great idea! I'm gonna go check if my nexus 5 will fit in that spot. Which qi charger you used?
This one! A user on reddit recommended it. I went for it since it was only $8 and I didn't even know if it would work. Now that I know that it does, I may shop for a stronger (more expensive) one. But, this one will do for now.

Wireless Qi Power Charger Charging Pad for Nokia Lumia 820 920 LG Nexus 4 S3 US | eBay

What kind of USB port is that to fit so flush? I like this mod a lot!
This one! Years ago, when I got my first smartphone, the phone store wanted $25 for the plug with a single USB port. I found this exact plug at Wally World for $15, dual ports. So, I jumped on it. Here it is for under $7.

Griffin PowerJolt Dual USB Car DC Charger Vehicle Power Adapter for iPhone 5 | eBay

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I picked up the same one on Newegg.com for a little more but got this charger for about $3.00

Here's the pad I got, hope it works for me.
Looks to be the same exact one. It has a "range" of 5mm. The plastic bins are only 2.5mm thick. Do some placement tests before you strap it down. You'll see I had to slide my pad rearwards to find the NFC coil on my phone. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Never knew you could charge using NFC... Looks great, though! I like that it's hidden and completely removable if you want to take it out

1 - 20 of 34 Posts