Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
rooster

Project Name
How To Change out a windshield wiper motor

Project Description
Removing the windshield wiper assembly to change wiper motor then reinstall

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2006
Engine: 2.8L
Power windows: No
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
-Wrenches 5/16, 1/2, 5/8
-10mm socket
-Wire cutters or Trim removal tool

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
$117 at Autozone

Step 1. Remove windshield wipers by removing nut caps and with a 5/8 wrench remove the nuts. I used the wrench to pry up on the base of the wiper to remove it.

Step 2. Remove 6 retainer clips on the front side of the wiper cowl. When removing wiper cowl pull straight up because there are retaining clips on the back side bottom of cowl.

With the wiper motor assembly being on the driver side you can just roll the cowl out of the way but if you choose to completely remove the cowl you will need a 5/16 wrench to remove the antenna

Step 3. With the wiper motor located. Remove the wiper motor retaining bolts located on each end of the assembly with a 10mm socket

Step 4. With assembly bolts removed rotate assembly clockwise and up to remove from cowl area. I was by myself when I did this so the hood is still on. It's much easier with the hood off but can be done with hood on.

Step 5. Unplug wiring harness. Its located between the master cylinder and the fire wall. Once unplugged feed the wire through the firewall.

Step 6. With assembly removed from the truck, remove the connecting arm nut (1/2 wrench) and 3 motor bolts (10mm socket)

Once old motor is removed, install new motor in reversed steps.

I almost forgot when installing motor make sure that the connecting rod is on the passenger side of the motor like shown. If it is pointing toward the driver side your wipers will work backward (I found out the hard way lol). I had to pry up the cowl to get this picture.

Thank you and good luck

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Windshield Wiper Motor Replacement

Special Tools
  • J 39232 Wiper Linkage Separator
  • J 39529 Wiper Linkage Installer

Removal Procedure
  1. Place the wiper arms in the 1/2 wipe position.
  2. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.
  3. Remove the wiper arms. Refer to Windshield Wiper Arm Replacement.
  4. Remove the air inlet grille panel. Refer to Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement.
  5. Remove the wiper transmission (3). Refer to Windshield Wiper Transmission Replacement.
  6. Using the J 39232 , separate the transmission link from the wiper motor crank arm ball stud.
  7. Remove the fasteners from the wiper motor to the frame assembly.
  8. Remove the wiper motor.

Installation Procedure
  1. Install the wiper motor onto the wiper transmission frame.
    Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution in the Preface section.​
  2. Install the bolts in order to secure the motor to the frame.
    Tighten
    Tighten the wiper motor mounting bolts to 9 N·m (81 lb in).​
    Note: Lubricate the socket with Multi-Purpose Lubricant, Superlube, GM P/N 12346241 (Canadian P/N 10953474) or equivalent.

3. Install the transmission drive link socket onto the crank arm ball of the wiper motor using the J 39529.
  4. Install the wiper transmission (3) to the plenum. Refer to Windshield Wiper Transmission Replacement.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Windshield Wiper Arm Replacement

Special Tools
J 39637 Wiper Arm Puller

Removal Procedure

1. Open the hood.
  2. Remove the wiper arm nut cap(s) and discard.
  3. Remove the wiper arm nut (2) from the wiper arm (1).
  4. Using a J 39637 or equivalent, remove the wiper arm from the wiper arm pivot shaft if the wiper arm fails to release from the pivot shaft with a rocking motion.
  5. Release the wiper arm blade (2) from the wiper arm (1).
  6. Clean the pivot shaft knurls (1) with a soft wire brush.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the wiper arm blade (2) to the new wiper arm (1).
  2. Lift the wiper blade off the windshield and install the wiper arm (1) to the wiper arm pivot shaft (2).
  3. Align the tip of the wiper blade with the round dot in the blackout area of the windshield.
  4. For the passenger side blade (2), ensure the wiper blade tip is held in position to the alignment dot (1) on the windshield.
  5. For the driver side blade (2), ensure the wiper blade tip is held in position to the alignment dot (1) on the windshield.
  6. Holding the wiper blade to the windshield dot, install the wiper arm nut.
  7. Continue holding the wiper blade in position while tightening the nut.
    Tighten
    Tighten the wiper arm nut to 33-38 N·m (24-28 lb ft).​
  8. Install new wiper arm nut covers.
  9. Close the hood.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement

Removal Procedure
  1. Remove the windshield wiper arms. Refer to Windshield Wiper Arm Replacement .
  2. Remove the air inlet grill panel push-pin retainers.
  3. Disconnect the washer hose.
  4. Remove the air inlet grille panel from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure
  1. Position the air inlet grille panel to the vehicle.
  2. Connect the washer hose.
  3. Install the push-pin retainers.
  4. Install the windshield wiper arms. Refer to Windshield Wiper Arm Replacement .

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Windshield Wiper Transmission Replacement

Special Tools
  • J 39232 Wiper Linkage Separator
  • J 39529 Wiper Linkage Installer

Removal Procedure
  1. Place the wiper arms in the 1/2 wipe position.
  2. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.
  3. Remove the wiper arms. Refer to Windshield Wiper Arm Replacement.
  4. Remove the air inlet grille panel. Refer to Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connector (3) for the wiper motor.
  6. Push the electrical harness grommet (1) through the plenum panel into the cowl.
  7. Remove the transmission fasteners (1, 4). Twist the transmission assembly in order to remove the transmission assembly from the cowl.
  8. Remove the transmission (3) from the vehicle through the access openings in the top of the cowl.

Installation Procedure
  1. Install the transmission (3) to the cowl area of the plenum. A slight twisting motion is needed in order to install.

Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution in the Preface section.​
  2. Install the transmission mounting bolts (1, 4).

Tighten
    Tighten the wiper transmission mounting bolts to 9 N·m (81 lb in).​
  3. Position the electrical harness grommet to the plenum panel hole (5).
  4. Pull the harness toward the front of the vehicle in order to seat the harness grommet.
  5. Connect the electrical connector.
  6. Install the connector position assurance tab (CPA) to the harness connector.
  7. Cycle the wiper system 1 time with the wiper motor switch.
  8. Install the air inlet grille panel. Refer to Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement.
  9. Install the wiper arms. Refer to Windshield Wiper Arm Replacement.
  10. Test the wiper system.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

This the pic after installation that shows what I was talking about the connecting rod. after installed the connecting arm needs to be in the 9 to 10 o'clock area. Great How to Rich :thumbup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Heading to junk yard....

Hey all, heading to the wreckers today. Going to be looking for a wiper motor and hopefully multifunction switch. Any ideas on compatible parts? I think Canyons work and maybe H3's.
Also going to try and get anything else I may need in the near future.
Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Re: Heading to junk yard....

2005 GMC Canyon

- ACDELCO 88958223 GM Original Equipment
- A-1 CARDONE 401062 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Reman

2006 Hummer H3

A-1 CARDONE 403033 {#10389558, 5175910AA} Reman

2003 GMC Sonoma

- A-1 CARDONE 401030 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Reman

Buyer's Guide: ACDELCO 88958223 Wiper Motor
CHEVROLET COLORADO (2004 - 2012)
GMC CANYON (2004 - 2012)
ISUZU I-280 2006
ISUZU I-290 (2007 - 2008)
ISUZU I-350 2006
ISUZU I-370 (2007 - 2008)
Buyer's Guide: A-1 CARDONE 401062 Wiper Motor
GMC CANYON (2004 - 2012)
ISUZU I-280 2006
ISUZU I-290 (2007 - 2008)
ISUZU I-350 2006
ISUZU I-370 (2007 - 2008)
No matchy on the wiper motor for any vehicles that are even close to the same platform. The part numbers only show up as being compatible for the colorado/canyon/izuzu's

Sorry bud!

Multifunction switch is a little better story though!

Buyer's Guide: AIRTEX / WELLS 1S8834 Multi-Function Switch
GMC CANYON (2004 - 2012)
HUMMER H3 (2006 - 2010)
HUMMER H3T (2009 - 2010)
ISUZU I-280 2006
ISUZU I-290 2008
ISUZU I-350 2006
ISUZU I-370 2008
You need to understand that the only way you can pull one out of an H3 is if you already HAVE cruise control. The H3's did NOT come WITHOUT cruise control, so as long as you already have cruise you can pop one out of a Hummer or any other colorado/canyon/izuzu.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Thanks Colby, I do have cruise but am probably hard pressed to find an H3 at the local junkyard.
I found a "Universal" motor online however I am hesitant on the "universal" part. Say some mods will be required to fit. I'm searching eBay now, I think that'll be my best bet.
Thanks again for the parts listings. Hopefully I can fix this soon.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts

Thanks Colby, I do have cruise but am probably hard pressed to find an H3 at the local junkyard.
I found a "Universal" motor online however I am hesitant on the "universal" part. Say some mods will be required to fit. I'm searching eBay now, I think that'll be my best bet.
Thanks again for the parts listings. Hopefully I can fix this soon.

I would say your best bet would be finding another colorado/canyon to pull the wiper motor out of. If you can't find one let me know...there is 3 colorados in the local yard here.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I'm just looking on eBay right now, getting to the yard has proven difficult since the roads are pretty messy here. I'm in Alberta, CANADA. Seems like the only place I can find parts is (anywhere) in the States!
That's and our Buck is not good right now, a $60 motor turns into $90 or more?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wiper motor polarity

I just installed a used wiper motor from an 06 cold and they stop up instead of down???
I'm afraid I've lost it

Lil tired and wondering what's up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too need to see a pic of this! I reinstalled and now reverse lol!!!
I left one blade on so I can drive tmrw but obviously need to fix!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Heading to junk yard....

Well I got a new used motor in for $65; it works! But I did something wrong and now it's backwards

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think I figured it out, there IS another post about this and mentions the position of the control arm when reinstalling but the pics are all dead. Anyone have an idea here?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Make sure to plug in the motor first with it out and cycle the key to make sure its at it's starting point when you install it in the vehicle.

Did you do that?

Yup did that before installing just to make sure it worked in all cycles. In the How To section Rooster says to point the control arm a certain direction 9or 10, or else it'll go in reverse. I didn't quite think of that but I think it's he way the linkage or transmission works.
I'm gonna head out in an hour or so to take a closer look. I'll post some pictures will I'm at it too.
I assumed it was plug and play, the motor will only spin one direction so you'd think so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts