Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SharkBite
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
jakeraleigh

Project Name
Replacing Cervini's Ram Air Hood Grill Insert With Street Scene Grill Insert

Project Description
Changing out the standard Cervini's Ram Air grill with an Street Scene grill

Skill Level
easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2007
Engine: 3.7L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: Yes

Tools Needed
  • Philips 4 Way Screw Driver
  • Adjustable Wrench
  • (6) Zip-ties
  • Vise-Grips or Wire Cutters (If you have any)
  • Tin Snips
Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
Free (if you have any scrap Street Scene speed grill laying around)

If you dont have an Street Scene speed grill laying around, you can find them on amazon (best pricing). You can use a gmc canyon grill insert or you can use the lower insert for the bumper, whichever is cheaper prices range from $34.99 to $69.99.

You can find different styles and sizes of grill material here (including "speed grill"):
customcargrills.com - Custom Car & Truck Grills - Billet & Mesh Grill Inserts

1. Remove factory grill from hood by removing 6 small screws on the inside of hood (be careful on dropping them they are very small)

Width of scoop opening: 17-1/2”. Height of scoop opening: 2-1/4”. So the Street Scenes grill needs to be at least 17in x 4in (like in the picture shown below)
    materal is available in a 6" x 36" size if bought from customcargrills.com, so that size will work it will just need to cut down with some tin snips.

Now begin to bend the metal to form around the original grill to get a general ideal on what it will look like. When doing so start by bending about an inch of the metal along the sides because they will be trimmed later on. Note: The adjustable wrench can be used to bend the metal if your hands aren't strong enough. Also when forming, it's a good idea to keep checking yourself to make sure you still have the right shape for the opening. I had to check several times by holding it up to the hood.

I test fitted to see how it looks and where exactly I need to trim.

Then I used the cutting blade at the bottom of the Vise-Grips (I didn't have any wire cutters at my office) to trim the backside of the grill for a better fit:

2. Once completed test fit one more time just for good measures, Then use the Zip-ties to hold in place. (Here's a photo of the brackets in which you can mount the Zip-ties)

Here's your finished product!

Rich (rshadd) spoke with Street Scene customer service rep, and they strongly recommend that you do not bend the chrome style grill. This is because of it cracking and eventually rusting, they recommended using one of the aluminum, polished stainless or the powder coated stainless grill to get the job done.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I did the same thing to my S-10 Xtreme Cervini hood

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts