Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
kerad11

Project Name
Change your spark plugs on a v8 355

Project Description
Changing your spark plugs

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2009
Engine: 5.3L
Power windows: yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
10mm Socket, Shorty 3/8ths Extension, 5/8ths Plug Socket, Flat Tip Screwdriver

Project Time
30min-3hrs(i take my time0

Project Cost
Cost of plugs
Stock GM Plugs Part#

First things first, you always disconnect your ground when messing with anything electrical on your truck. That's a 10mm socket on the black wire on your battery.

I disconnected the entire plug wire from the coil pack to the metal sleeve. its not easy but with patience it will wiggle out. Do not pull the plug wire to remove. You will probably break it and have to replace the full set to get one. Do not remove all of the plug wires at once. Replace each wire/plug one at a time so you don't lose track of where everything goes.

Remove the old plug.

Inspect.

Put a literal drop worth of antiseize on the threaded part of the plug. be very sparring with application. A little is almost too much.

Antiseize is needed because its an aluminum block. steel + aluminum = stuck plug down the road.

Replace the plug and be sure to seat the boots properly. You'll hear them click. I used the marks in the dust to see when they were fully seated on the coil packs.

Here's pics of plug locations.
Pass side.

Rear pass side.

Driver side.

This is the hard plug. He doesn't like you, so he hides.

All the plugs are easy to get to except the driver side front(close to the alternator). You have to remove and replace it through the wheel well. Dont cut yourself. Its easy to do. I didn't take a pic of the plug through the wheelwell cause it won't line up. Your hand barely fits. Totally messed up angle.

Shits very straight forward except that one plug.

Attachments

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wtf?

i put in densos? fail on the edit mr. gheywad. :kiki:

kerad11 said:
brewer15650 said:
1. part number for the plugs
2. the GAP

Do you have a picture of the " driver side plug through the wheel well and how he got to it, basically removing the inner fender.
it16#4 or 5325#4 not sure which one...but proly the 2nd one.

.4mm

You can't take a pic of the plug through the wheelwell cause it won't line up. your hand barely fits. Totally fucked up angle.

Shits very straight forward except that one plug.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this huge cut on my forearm says different....

that fucking wheelwell liner is sharp as a knife on the 09 and up.

the front wheelwell liners are made of a thinner material on the newer trucks.

the back liner is still just as thick as ever tho...

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hopefully we will make more so they can all be stuck in thier own section...

·
Registered
449 Posts
that fucking wheelwell liner is sharp as a knife on the 09 and up.
Haven't you heard? They're sourcing them from Gilette now...

·
Internet Troll
1,384 Posts
I have a 2 step proceedure for changing my plugs...

1. Take to service center.
2. Pick up from service center when work is done!

LOL

Nice writeup

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Sorry to comment on an old post, but I was wondering would it be beneficial to replace the OEM plugs with 20K miles with DENSO Iridiums?

:th_gimmebeer:

·
Darth Vader
5,223 Posts
Sorry to comment on an old post, but I was wondering would it be beneficial to replace the OEM plugs with 20K miles with DENSO Iridiums?

I'd say no, but it wouldn't hurt anything if you did.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I say it's a waste of money. What year is your truck? I think those plugs came standard in 2008 and up??? Somebody can correct me.

But as far as swapping at 20k, I think it's a waste of money and the amount of fuel savings to be had after a $80+ expense will take forever to recoup.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its not WORTH it, but hardly any mods are.

you do this to upgrade to slightly better plugs.

a truck is like anything. its constantly deteriorating.

you want to reverse that stedy decline as much as possible.

but no, at that low milage, its not much good in it if your talking about the improvments impacting your wallet and recoup time.

unless you just bought it. then, always change the plugs.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
or i might have read that wrong.

this mods worth becomes more apparent as the miles pile on.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I say it's a waste of money. What year is your truck? I think those plugs came standard in 2008 and up??? Somebody can correct me.

But as far as swapping at 20k, I think it's a waste of money and the amount of fuel savings to be had after a $80+ expense will take forever to recoup.
It's a 2010 CC Z71 4x4 V8.

its not WORTH it, but hardly any mods are.

you do this to upgrade to slightly better plugs.

a truck is like anything. its constantly deteriorating.

you want to reverse that stedy decline as much as possible.

but no, at that low milage, its not much good in it if your talking about the improvments impacting your wallet and recoup time.

unless you just bought it. then, always change the plugs.
or i might have read that wrong.

this mods worth becomes more apparent as the miles pile on.
Gents,

Appreciate the feedback. I didn't expect that it would have been a worthwhile mod at this point. Thought I'd ask just in case the answer was, oh yeah those OEM plugs are shit get rid of them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts