Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Because of this small detail, the engine of the car can create something horrible, so you need to know when and how to replace the spark plugs in the car. Diagnosis ... by color

Some engine failures can be diagnosed by the color of the candle. Its "sting" (to be precise, its electrodes) changes color during operation. And it shows some kind of malfunctions. The "healthy" motor candles are clean, have a brown or gray color.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I changed the spark plugs and wires last weekend on my 2010 V8 CC 4x4. Mileage was 91,641. I lifted the front of the truck and put it on jack stands, removed the front wheels, and then removed the wheel well liners. Definitely worth the effort to get the ease of access to everything. Plus I got to see areas of my truck hidden by the liners. Process of removal and reinstall was easy with the proper tools and lighting. Never had to go down through the top except for the coil boot end of the wires. I went with the AC Delco Iridium plugs and Standard Motor Products plug wire set. While the truck was up, I also replaced all the o2 sensors (up/downstream). The immediate improvement noticed was how much smoother the engine was at idle. This truck is not my daily driver right now so I haven't taken it out to see if gas mileage has improved any. Took pics of the removed plugs and all the tools used for the process.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Getting ready to change plugs and wonder - is there a need to change coils at same time?
The impression I have gotten from the forum concerning the coil replacement issue is that it is not necessary on a stock V8 motor. It seems the coils are very durable. They are very expensive to replace also. Just replace the iridium's with iridium's and the wires with a good quality set. Make sure to reinstall the plug boot heat shields also. If not satisfied, the coils can be easily replaced later since that are on top of the valve covers. This is my opinion, if you want to spend the money for new coils, please do. I did not want to.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
No need to replace the coils unless one is actually bad.

The LS Coil Packs are amazing in terms of reliability.

Use AC Delco wires... And as stated... Reuse or buy new metal heat shields.

Remember to put a drop of anti-seize on the threads of the plugs, and a small squirt of dielectric grease (included with most plugs sets) on the plug end of the wires.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Thanks. Coils are expensive. For one of my cars they strongly recommend new coils with plugs. But it is more fickle than my Colorado. Just can tell the Colorado is a bit off its peak after 84K miles

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Thanks. Coils are expensive. For one of my cars they strongly recommend new coils with plugs. But it is more fickle than my Colorado. Just can tell the Colorado is a bit off its peak after 84K miles
If you are doing new plugs and wires and have not changed the o2 sensors yet, I would at least change the upstream ones while you are in there. If in the budget, do the down streams too. I did all four on my truck. That way everything is starting as new. Four new o2 sensors are allot cheaper than eight new coils. I went with Denso from rockauto. This is only my opinion based on what I have read about here on the forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I changed the spark plugs and wires last weekend on my 2010 V8 CC 4x4. Mileage was 91,641. I lifted the front of the truck and put it on jack stands, removed the front wheels, and then removed the wheel well liners. Definitely worth the effort to get the ease of access to everything. Plus I got to see areas of my truck hidden by the liners. Process of removal and reinstall was easy with the proper tools and lighting. Never had to go down through the top except for the coil boot end of the wires. I went with the AC Delco Iridium plugs and Standard Motor Products plug wire set. While the truck was up, I also replaced all the o2 sensors (up/downstream). The immediate improvement noticed was how much smoother the engine was at idle. This truck is not my daily driver right now so I haven't taken it out to see if gas mileage has improved any. Took pics of the removed plugs and all the tools used for the process.
Any youtube videos out there on how to change spark plugs on a 2009 V8 Colorado?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Yes there are videos but can't say there is one specifically for a 2009. The 2009 - 2012 should all be the same. AC Delco has rebate offers allot on their plugs, stick with the iridium's. I would change the plug wires too. If you prepared and planned it out, you could do an oil/filter change, plug/plug wire change, o2 sensor (both up,downstream) change, and rotate the tires all in one lifting of the truck. I collected all the needed replacement parts ahead of time (up to 2 years) by watching for sales and rebate offers, to help offset the cost.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts