Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
rshadd, captainrab & supermodulation

Changing the color of your HVAC controls
How To change the color of your HVAC controls (without soldering!)

Project Description
This how to demonstrates how to change the color of your HVAC controls using colored bulb covers or "booties".
This method gives surprisingly good results without the need to solder.

Note: This method can also be used for your other interior switches.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-...9269-how-change-color-your-door-switches.html
http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-...4-how-change-color-your-headlight-switch.html
http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-...9395-how-change-color-your-hvac-controls.html

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2009
Engine: 5.3L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: Yes

Tools Needed
  • 7mm Nut Driver
  • Trim Removal Tool
  • Thin Blade Knife
  • Scissors
  • Channel Lock Pliers

Parts Needed
Light Bulb Color Filter Caps

You can order them from
Supermodulation's Ebay Store.

The bulb covers are available in Yellow, Red, Orange, Green and Blue*.

*The existing OEM bulbs already have BLUE booties on them. Replacing the OEM blue booties with Supermodulation's blue booties WILL NOT give you the blue look that your looking for. The red, orange, and green covers look great. I haven't seen the yellow covers.

The HVAC controls need eight (8) bulb covers
The 4x4/airbag/traction control needs three (3) bulb covers* The 4x4's may need more.

Project Time
2 hour or less

Project Cost
The colored bulb covers are $9.95 for a pack of 10.

This modification can be broken down into two parts. One for the 4x4/traction control/ passenger side airbag component, and the other for the HVAC controls. I'll start with the prior and work up to the HVAC controls.

1. Start by the removing the center console bezel from the dash.
    Using a trim removal tool and starting from the bottom, gently pry the bezel loose. There six clips that hold it in place, two on each side and one on the top and another at the bottom

2. There are two electrical connectors that need to be released in order to remove the bezel. First release the electrical connectors for the hazzard switch.

3. Next, release the electrical connector for the traction/passenger side air bag control and then remove the center console bezel.

4. Remove the three (3) screws that hold the traction/airbag control to the center console bezel with a 7mm nutdriver.

5. Take the traction control/airbag control to your workbench to continue disassembling the control.

6. Slide a thin blade knife between the clips to release back cover.

7. Seperate the circuit board from the housing to revel the three (3) blue bulbs.

8. Remove the existing OEM blue bulb covers and replace with them with the colored bulb cover of your choice.
    Note: These bulbs are smaller, so I cut the booties down some with a pair of sissors. A tiny dab of clear silicone will help hold them in place.

9. Reassemble the switch components

10. Reattach the traction/airbag control to the console bezel

11. Reconnect the electrical connector to the traction/airbag control.

Ok, that takes care of that. Now let's move on to the HVAC control. The HVAC control is more complicated to remove. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

1. Using a 7mm nutdriver, remove the two screws that hold the HVAC controls in place.

2. Pull the HVAC controls away from the dash.

3. Start by releasing the two (2) electrical connectors from the back of the HVAC control.

4. Release the mechanical connectors from the HVAC temperature controls.

5. Release the vent cable from clip above the temp control.

6. Release the tabs that hold anchor clip in place for the HVAC vent control.

7. Remove the cable from the HVAC vent control

8. Take the HVAC to your workbench to continue disassembly.

9. Using a pair of channel locks, pull the knobs off. It takes a strong steady pull an a bit of wiggle to get the knobs off.

10. Remove the covers for the compressor/recirculation buttons. There are a pair of small clips on either side on the button that hold them in place.

11. Release the clips that hold the control together.

12. Seperate the front HVAC bezel from the control to revel the eight bulbs. There are six (6) blue bulbs and the two (2) orange bulbs.

13. Remove the existing OEM blue bulb covers and replace with your colored bulb covers.

Note: If was doing this again, I think that I would leave the blue bulb cover on the far left bulb. I think it would make the blue (cold) side of the temperature scale look better.

14. Reassemble the HVAC controls by reversing the procedure that you used during the disassembly process.

15. Reinstall the HVAC controls back into the console.

16. Reconnect the HVAC mechanical connectors.

17. Reconnect the HVAC electrical connectors.

18. Fasten the two (2) screws that hold the HVAC control in place with a 7mm nutdriver.

19. Test the operation of the the switch functions to ensure that everything is working properly.

20. Replace the center console bezel.

21. Done!

Enjoy your new colored HVAC controls.

·
5cylinder and Tire slayer
16,420 Posts
Re: How-To: Change the color of your HVAC controls

awesome! gonna have to do this fasho..

Do you know if the recir button and ac buttons can be bought from GM? mine are chipping

·
I like pie
3,354 Posts

Woo Hoo.

Now im prepped and ready to do mine. Thanks man!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts

this one was a little harder but i got it!! good write up!!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts

I did mine on Monday!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts

Yeah getting those HVAC controls out was a PITA, but nothing to serious

·
Registered
261 Posts

could you put one blue bootie behind the cold for temperature and one red behind the heat to accentuate each more or is it on that lights both?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts

could you put one blue bootie behind the cold for temperature and one red behind the heat to accentuate each more or is it on that lights both?
Not really, because one given bulb will prove light to more then one part of the HVAC controls.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Just finished looks great thanks for this sweet DIY:thumbup:

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts

have any of you just tried to take the booties off and reassemble?

im shooting for brighter, not a color change.

is this a bad idea?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts