Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
rangerbob

Project Name
How-To: Change your rear shoes

Project Description
Replacing your rear brake shoes

Skill Level
Moderate/Two Beers

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon Z71
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
See Picture Below

Project Time
Needs Updated

Project Cost
Needs Updated

Additional pictures:

rangerbob_99/Canyon/Drum Brakes - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tools Needed:

Remove Wheel:

Remove Drum ( you may have a star washer on some of the lugs - just rip this off and throw it out. The wheel holds it on just fine ):

Adjuster and piston:

Remove Spring and then the Adjuster mechanism ( two pieces ) by rotating counter-clockwise ( I think - you'll figure it out or else you should be paying someone to do this for you ) and pulling it out:

Unhook Horseshoe spring with the big-ass pliers - doesn't matter which side you do first:

The shoes will now fall out. You will need to use the pliers to help the parking cable unhook from the shoes - I had to bend the tabs on both of the shoes to get the nubbin out. The new ones look like this:

In order to install the parking brake cable you'll need to use the vice-grips to hold the cable while you slide the spring on;

After you've got the parking brake cable reattached - remove the vice grips and install the other shoe. Reattach the Horseshoe spring with the Big-ass pliers (somebody should trademark that - and Big Fucking Hammer also).

Now for the fun part - the adjuster. You need to extend the adjuster so that it puts enough pressure onto the pads or you will have VERY POOR braking for a long time. I did this by rotating it CLOCKWISE and the sticking the drum on until it was difficult to slide on - then I finished assembling the rest of the adjuster ( spring and the little lever arm - then I drove ( CAREFULLY! ) to a parking lot and spent a bunch of time going in reverse while pumping the brakes. This causes the adjuster to finish properly setting the brakes to where they should be.

Make sure you set the adjuster AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN. Sometimes the adjuster does not adjust and you end up having no rear breaking for a long time. Spend a little extra time spinning it and sliding the drums over and you'll find it much nicer. The drum should /just/ slide over the shoes with some persuasion.

Finished Product - you can tell I put the front side of the Horseshoe spring on first and then fought with the bitch to get the read side on:

Reactions: brewer15650

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: How-To: Change your rear shoes

*laughs* I gotta upload the pictures and the write the thing. It'll be done today. I promise.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ok - here ya go e-Bitches. Enjoy!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts

The fact that you probably have less than 100k and already had to replace these is :ghey:

I hope I don't have to do mine anytime soon. Nice writeup! :D

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I also tow a lot. :D

I probably could have gotten 80k out of them otherwise. Lots of stop and go traffic. I need to pull the wheels off of the front and look at the pads there.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts

Shoes should still last longer than pads IMO. I am impressed with how long the stock pads have lasted on my truck though, almost 50k on the originals and they still seem to have plenty of life left.

·
Registered
181 Posts

you make it look too easy...i remember changing the brake pads on my friends Iszuzi Trooper, that sunovabitch had 3 different springs inside of it, each one a bigger bitch than the last (and they had no vicegrips to work with, the bastards)

·
0 Posts

Shoes should still last longer than pads IMO. I am impressed with how long the stock pads have lasted on my truck though, almost 50k on the originals and they still seem to have plenty of life left.
That's because they are just steel blocks...with other big chunks of random pieces of metal!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

I hate drum brakes with a fucking passion. Why did my 01 Xtreme Blazer have 4 wheel disc, but my 04 Rado have drums in the rear:dawg:

I think the design teams at GM are retarded on a good day.

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

every colorado i inspect at work with over 50k miles has very worn shoes, they arent as hard of a compound or as thick as the OEM disc pads that is why they wear quicker, once they are changed to almost any aftermarket brand brake shoe they wear at less of a rate. GM got rid of the rear disc that the blazer and 4wd s10s used because of caliper failure problems and they couldnt figure out a problem with uneven wear (passenger rear inboard pad would wear completely while the rest would have 50% or more friction material left.) also the parking brake shoe design on the rear disc setup was prone to fail because of over adjustment (auto-adjusting), and once they wear they grind into the "hat" of the rotor causing rotor replacement to be necassary as well. the fullsize STILL uses this design and STILL has all these problems.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts

I keep telling myself I need to check mine. I'm at 52k. I need to rotate the tires to. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

im at 71k on mine now and the shoes have been changed already and are about 1/2 worn now. the passenger axle seal is also starting to seap, yay, my thermostat is stuck open, and tonight i had a no start issue. what a turd. j/k.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts

oh sweeet writeup!

·
Registered
282 Posts

thank god you posted up the correct way for the parking brake cable to be reinstalled...that fucker is hard to put back in

·
Big Brother Owner
1,808 Posts

Im at 48,500 on mine and my rear sounds like it is grinding. Sounds like i need new rear breaks. Looks like a bitch, I hate rear drums.

how much are the break pads and about how long did it take?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts