Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
burn

Project Name
Check Your Pinion Angle

Project Description
When you lift / lower your truck, the angle that the drive-shaft meets the pinion can go beyond what is considered a safe angle. This can cause vibrations and eventually lead to U-joint failure or damage to your drive-shaft or other suspension parts.

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2006

Tools Needed
Digital Level

Project Time
1 hour or less

Lift the rear end of the truck up off the ground by putting a jack under the differential to keep the suspension loaded. Put stands under the axle. Ideally you would do this with a hoist / pit to keep the truck level to prevent the center of gravity from shifting forward so only lift the rear as much as absolutely necessary to keep the weight transfer to a minimum - but atleast this will keep you close.

Put the truck in Neutral. Turn the drive-shaft by hand until the pinion is parallel with the ground, then attach the digital level:

Then turn the drive-shaft until it is at 0*

Then attach the digital level to the drive-shaft. Hit the reset button which will make the level assume the drive-shaft is parallel to the ground:

Then attach the digital level to the pinion:

This tells me that the pinion is at 1.8* to the drive-shaft - which is fine. Typically it should not exceed 3*. The icon in the bottom-right corner also tells me that the snout of the rear-end is facing upwards - which also is fine. No shims are required.

If you did this procedure and came out with an angle greater than 3*, subtract 3 from the angle you came up with and order that angle of shims. They go between the axle and your leaf-springs (or axle and blocks if you are lowered) to adjust the angle to get you under 3*.

Shims are available from several manufacturers including Ground Force, Belltech, Summit, etc. Here are the Belltech shims available through Summit:

1*: Belltech 4973 - Belltech Pinion Shims – SummitRacing.com
2*: Belltech 4975 - Belltech Pinion Shims – SummitRacing.com
3*: Belltech 4976 - Belltech Pinion Shims – SummitRacing.com
4*: Belltech 4977 - Belltech Pinion Shims – SummitRacing.com
6*: Belltech 4979 - Belltech Pinion Shims – SummitRacing.com

·
microwave
5,085 Posts
Nice write up bro. I need to check mine since I do have a slight vibration on take off. Thanks for the how to.

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
Well Done! :355:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::high5: Very helpful

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Its too hot in Texas!
6,472 Posts
Great write up Burn... I know I still need to do this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if i have the 4 in blocks and a vib. during take off do you think i have the blocks in bakwards didnt see anything saying which way they were supposed to face but i was thinking that they were wrong they have the shim (angled top plate) on them so i think that might be it

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
If you have angled blocks then the smaller heigth or angle faces forward.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
broken image links fixed

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
great info, need to check mine, but don't you need to check the relation ship of the tranny tail shaft to the pinion angle? I think my tranny angle changed with the engine swap, ever since than I get a bit of a shimmy?

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
So I was flipping through the January 2015 issue of Car Craft magazine and saw this review of a smartphone app that will turn your phone into a angle finder.

The free app is called "Tremec Driveline Angle Finder".

By using your smartphone as a measuring device, the app will calculate each u-joint angle and provide an overall driveline operating angle with a Pass/Fail response.
This unique App will help you avoid vibration problems associated with incorrect driveshaft and u-joint working angles. The three-step graphical interface provides measurements essential for proper driveline setup, along with tips and instructions that make it possible to check angles like a pro!

The TREMEC Driveline Angle Finder App is designed to measure driveline angles on RWD vehicles equipped with a one-piece driveshaft.

Click here for User Instructions

New! TREMEC Driveline Angle Finder App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts