Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
switzxx20

Project Name
How To: Cleaning your K&N air filter

Project Description
Step by Step instructions of cleaning with the K&N Cleaning Kit.

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2006
Engine: 2.8L
Power windows: No
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
Parts used: K&N Recharger kit #99-5000
Screwdriver

Project Time
30 minutes or less

Project Cost
Cost of K&N Cleaning Kit

Step 1.Shut off your truck and let stand for 15-30 minutes if you have been driving it for a while.

Step 2. Pop your hood and loosen your K&N air filter with a flat-head screwdriver (preferably large) and remove the filter from the K&N intake tube.

Step 3. Spray your K&N air filter with plenty of K&N “Air Filter Cleaner” making sure to cover every side generously. Make sure you are spraying the outside of the filter.

Step 4. Let your K&N filter soak in the cleaner for about 15 minutes. Now you must rinse the filter, use cool water and flush out the cleaner from the filter (from the inside) for a few minutes. Make sure there are not any pink spots, if there is you have not completely washed all the cleaner out. Just to give you an idea of how dirty your filter probably is, I washed it over a CLEAR bucket. Gross, huh!

Step 5. You can now refrain from washing the filter and now begin to shake it to get rid of all excess wetness. Now you will need to let your filter sit in a well-ventilated area for a few hours while it completely dries. It is normal for your filter to have a very dull pinkish gray color at this point

Step 6. Here is the final step in the cleaning process. After your filter has dried, begin to spray each side of the filter giving it a darkish pink color. Make sure you do not OVER oil your filter, as it will probably destroy your MAF over time and you'll have to replace it. Once you have oiled your filter with the aerosol, let it dry for about 20-30 minutes.

Step 7. After you have let your K&N air filter dry, now you just have to pop your hood and screw it right back into place. Tighten it enough so it does not move, you really do not want stuff flying into your throttle body!!

Note: It is recommended by K&N to clean your filter at least once a year, remember these filters are made to last the life of your vehicle!

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Re: How-To: Clean Your K&N Air Filter

^X2. I bet most Joe's just throw it on and forget about it...lol

Thanks for takin the time to post this Switz!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

^X2. I bet most Joe's just throw it on and forget about it...lol

Thanks for takin the time to post this Switz!
Exactly! I know too many people who just let it turn black and forget about it...and also too many people who would probably destroy their filter trying to clean it lol. Generally when you take your truck in for service, they won't mention the K&N because they figure you will take care of it :shrug:

Thanks Josue!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts

Just reminded me to do mine for the Spring as that's when I normally do all my yearly maintenance stuff.

*NOTE* even with this simple step by step guide I'm sure someone eill still figure out a way to F it all up. Always seems to happen.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

All i'm saying it there are crystal clear instructions on how to clean K&N filters in the box and also available from K&N's website. If someone doesn't know how to do it or just flat out doesnt do it.... well... fudge em' ;)

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts

Nice dude. Allowing the oil to dry is probably the most important step. In addition to not over oiling the filter to begin with. :high5:

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

Nice job. Although im sure everyone has small supplemental steps to this such as mine where before i add the cleaner ill shake the filter and bang it against my palm for a few minutes getting all the loose big shit off that sometimes wedges into the screen that doesn't come off. Also I know they say to not used compressed air but i do lol, but very carefully at a very low setting, from far away ill shoot air from inside the filter outwards. Also i put about 2 very light coats of oil and let filter dry hanging from a coatwire sideways so any oil can leak right of the sides.

I should also mention i've only cleaned my K&N once in 30k+ miles lol.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Nice dude. Allowing the oil to dry is probably the most important step. In addition to not over oiling the filter to begin with. :high5:
Indeed! :D
Nice job. Although im sure everyone has small supplemental steps to this such as mine where before i add the cleaner ill shake the filter and bang it against my palm for a few minutes getting all the loose big shit off that sometimes wedges into the screen that doesn't come off. Also I know they say to not used compressed air but i do lol, but very carefully at a very low setting, from far away ill shoot air from inside the filter outwards. Also i put about 2 very light coats of oil and let filter dry hanging from a coatwire sideways so any oil can leak right of the sides.

I should also mention i've only cleaned my K&N once in 30k+ miles lol.
Nice Izzy, it's always good to share your personal tips on topics like this :355:

·
Registered
218 Posts

wow yours cleans up nice...i cleaned mine out last summer and it doesnt look that good....good job man!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Probably an unbelievably dumb question but, how do I know when I should be cleaning this guy? Just got the truck a few weeks ago so I'm not sure how long it's been in there but it's still got a pretty good pink color too it, doesn't seem too dirty. I notice a little bit of pooled pink oil below it though. Truck's about to hit 50k.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts