Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
woo
453 Posts
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
GeorgesBlazah

Project Name
Dash Removal/Heater Core

Project Description
Need to remove your dashboard? Replacing heater core?

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2004
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
Update Here

Project Time
5 hours or less

Project Cost
Heater Core
Effort

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Disable the SIR system. You should just disconnect your battery while doing this.
Remove the instrument panel (I/P) storage compartment door.
Remove the left and right windshield garnish moldings.
Remove the left and right front door sill plates.
Remove the left and right hinge pillar trim panels.
Remove the lower center I/P extension.
Remove the accessory trim panel.
Remove the radio.
Remove the HVAC control assembly.
If replacing the I/P assembly, remove the left air outlet.
Remove the right air outlet.
Remove the knee bolster trim panel.
Remove the knee bolster.
Remove the instrument panel cluster (IPC) bezel.
Remove the IPC.
If replacing the I/P, remove the headlamp switch and retain for transfer. If removing the I/P, disconnect the headlamp switch electrical connector.
Remove the daytime running lamp (DRL) sensor from the I/P.

Remove the 3 upper I/P bolt covers located on top of the I/P.

Remove the 3 upper I/P nuts retaining the I/P to the bulkhead.
Remove the 3 upper HVAC duct screws retaining the duct to the I/P.

Remove the screw located behind the IPC.

Remove the 2 screws retaining the I/P compartment door latch.
Remove the 3 lower I/P retaining screws located near the I/P storage compartment.

Remove the hazard switch harness from the routing hole.
Remove the digital radio receiver.
Remove the instrument panel module (IPM).

Remove the 2 screws located in the IPM opening.

Remove the screw from the I/P end cap.

Pull the I/P compartment folding panel (1) down and rearward to reveal the screw.
Reach through the I/P storage compartment opening and remove the screw retaining the I/P carrier to the I/P structure.

If equipped, disconnect the accessory power outlet electrical connectors.
Grasp the lower center edge of the I/P and pull rearward in order to release the 2 retaining clips.

Grasp the lower right edge of the I/P and pull rearward in order to release the retaining clip.
Pull the I/P partially away from the I/P structure.

Reach through the IPM opening and remove the I/P wiring harness clips (1) from the I/P.

Reach through the center stack opening and remove the I/P wiring harness clips (1) from the HVAC vent.

Reach through the IPC opening and remove the I/P wiring harness clips (1) from the I/P.

Reach through the left side of the IPC opening and remove the I/P wiring harness clips (1) from the I/P.
With the aid of an assistant, carefully remove the I/P from the vehicle.

HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
Remove the HVAC module assembly.

Remove the heater core pipes clamp screw (3).
Remove the heater core pipes clamp (2).
Remove the heater core clamp screws.
Remove the heater core clamp (2).
Remove the heater core from the HVAC module.

Heater core clamp screws. Tighten the screws to 1.9 N.m (17 lb in) .
Install the heater core pipes clamp screw (3). Tighten the screw to 20 N.m (15 lb ft) .

Installation is the opposite of removal.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
I think Bossman will have some additions upon actually finishing his heater core swap.

·
Its too hot in Texas!
6,472 Posts
Found it nevermind

2. Look where the glove box was and then look up, you will see two clips holding part of the plastic on, pull those out to reveal four bolts holding the airbag in. Remove the four bolts and slide the airbag unit out and then remove the wire.

·
Its too hot in Texas!
6,472 Posts
I did as instructed but my airbag is not coming out! HELP!!!!

·
Member's Technical crew
4,307 Posts
cool thread, will come in handy if I decide to add a/c at some point!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, there was a small puddle (about 4 inches) on the drivers side mat just aft of the gas peddle for the second time in as many days. A few months ago, the inside of the windshiel was covered with frost. The windows and wind shield also fog up when I use the heater. I checked the fluid level in the reservoir and the radiator are ok.
I also looked under the dash just above the puddle to find no source where water can come from. The heater core is on the right side of he dash.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sigh. I just discovered on my drive in today I need to do this. Smelled some antifreeze, turned the heater on high and nice fog cloud of antifreeze came out.

Thinking long and hard about doing it or taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Once the dash is out there's plenty left to do. Working on the steering wheel now. The 4 clips holding the airbag in were a pain until I figured out what I needed to do (push them in as far as you can, it snaps a pin up). Ran out of light today and I have no time coming up to consistently work on it. :mad5:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Scratch removing the steering. There's 4 bolts holding it to the brackets going across. There's another 2 bolts still supporting the column. As long as you leave it alone the steering isn't going anywhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts