Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Driver Side

1. Take out all dash bezels (side vents, gauge bezel, and center bezel)

2. Remove plastic panel below steering wheel. It is held on by two screws located under the hood release. Then, remove the e-brake release handle by pulling it out and using a flathead to get to the clip.

3. Remove the gauge cluster. It is held ob by two visible bolts and then two more botls that are harder to see behind the top of the cluster.

4. Remove metal bracket below steering column. There are two bolts on the side near the hood release cable, two below the right side of the stearing column and one on each side above the column

Passenger Side

1. Take off the glove box. It is held on by three bolts at the base of the back.

2. Look where the glove box was and then look up, you will see two clips holding part of the plastic on, pull those out to reveal four bolts holding the airbag in. Remove the four bolts and slide the airbag unit out and then remove the wire.

3. Remove bolt on lower side behind the kick panel

Center

1. Remove the three removeable covers ontop of the dash. unbolt the three nuts and take out the three bolts.

2. Remove the cd player

3. Remove the A/C controls

Now put the E-brake on and drop the gear shifter down (for automatics)

Break loose the driver side and then move over to the passenger side and start pulling it out. You will have to remove the daylight sensor wire in the far passenger side corner. Then also remove the power accessory wires (cigarette lighters) and then unclip the wire loom that is clipped under the dash. Continue to pull and the dash will slide out.

The dash goes back in the same way it came out.

All together this is a pretty simple project if you have patience. It took only about an hour to an hour and a half to take it out and put it back in...

if anyone has any questions ill be glad to help....im going to let the paint dry for the rest of the day so i should be in and out on the board so feel free to ask questions

parking brake pull - use a flathead to get the handle clip pushed in

Everything is hooked to the plastic dash piece so everything will have to be taken off..

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you mean to tell me i dont need a crow bar. whoops, too late. :mc:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol! its easy as can be...all of it only took a couple hours

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
What kinda paint did you use for the black and how's it holdin up?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dupli-color vinyl paint if i remember. i used an adhesive spray first. everything is holding up pretty good. i got a scratch on my airbag where a stupid friend hit the dash with his shoe. asshole, lol

im thinking about pulling it back out and either gloss painting it with automotive paint or getting it covered with tweed

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I'm going to do this very soon. Perfect write up. Thanks!

You should add something about unhooking the battery so you dont get a airbag in the face.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i didnt unhook my battery lol...i think as long as the ignition is off for 20-30 mins

·
Registered
317 Posts
Re: How-To: Dash Removal

NO, you want to be real careful. My buddy works at a GM dealership as a tech and I had him look up Airbag procedures and You should remove the battery cable for 30min. and leave it off until you are done. I am a Chrysler tech and they say the same thing.
YES, you can leave your battery hooked up, but any slight short in the Airbag circuit will deploy the airbags. Technicians have died/been injured when carelessley handling airbag circuits.

---Leave it off 30min. because the airbag circuit keeps a charge and it is very possible for them to deploy without battery power.

---Not trying to be a douche bag, just lookin out for my 355 buddies.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts

^ I 1000% agree!!

Never....NEVER....NEVER mess with airbags without the battery disconnected.

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts

wow really!

ive had my air bag assm off 4 times now without unhooking the battery :ugh:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts