Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Captain of the Enterprise
1,486 Posts
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
Cherry

Project Name
Defog Headlights

Project Description
This will show you how to use a drill and supplied buffing wheel attachment to clear up your head lights.

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
Drill
Towel
Shamy
Masking Tape

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
$25-30
-----------------

To start off I used Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit that I had bought at my local auto parts store. This is a one step kit that allows you to make you head lights like new. The kit comes with 1) 10"x10" Micro Fiber cloth 1) Buffing wheel drill attachment 1) 150ml Bottle of compound. The drill attachment is easy to use and could probably be use for other applications.

Step One-
Unbox your kit and make sure that everything is accounted for. Now gather all your other materials that you will need. I used a corded 18v drill and 2in. painters tape and a towel to catch the drips on the floor.

Step Two-
Next pop your hood and prop it up so you have access to the top of the head lights. Now you need to mask off all the areas around the head lights, even the plastic grill for those who have a Z71 as I do. This is very important because it prevents you from losing texture on your grill and taking wax and gloss coats off the paint. The Colorado’s/ Canyons have space all around the headlight except near the reflectors. You can hold the tape taught and carefully slip the tape underneath and around the headlight. Make sure to get the cracks on the hood and next to the grill.

Step Three-
Put a quarter size amount of compound onto the pad and slowly spin the dill and cover the entire headlight to avoid splatter. Then using medium speed, angle the pad at about 60 degrees perpendicular to the lens and apply slight pressure to the headlight and use long strokes horizontally against the lens. Lastly, using maximum speed, apply firm pressure to lenses and use long really slow horizontal strokes against the lens. This will complete your first pass.

To achieve a more clear view repeat passing over the head light with firm pressure and buff until the compound appears to be gone. Then apply another quarter size amount or compound and apply firm pressure at maximum speed. It took me 4-5 passes after the first initial pass to achieve great clarity. Wipe away compound between passes. Depending on how bad your headlights are will determine how many passes as well as how much effort you want to put into it. My lights were really bad and I really noticed a difference in the brightness of the headlights at night.

NOTE: This will not clear the inside of the lens if you have damage to the inside. Also you might need to pass over the “rough parts” where the black decorative plastic in the housing meets the inside of the lens (this is where it was the worst for me).

Sorry for the picture having to be attached. I couldn't figure out how to get the images to be their original sizes even the 355 Nation Logo (as you can see). The Picture Below are in order except for the last to are in reverse. Thanks :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Internet Troll
1,232 Posts
Very Nice write up. I did the same with a 3M kit on my daughter's '03 Cavalier. Lights are a lot brighter.

I agree with the taping of anything you don't want scratched. I still caught some of the tape while doing her lenses.

·
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I'm still kinda new to the forum and I really like the content. This was a fun How To to post and I hope that I can do some more in the future.

·
Registered
504 Posts
this isn't really defogging the headlights,fogging would be on the inside of the lights. i did mine by hand i used 400 grit sand paper, then 1000 grit sand paper, then 2000 grit sand paper then 3000 grit sand paper then buffed the lights out with a plastic polish, now their back to stock.

·
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well ok when I wrote this I was really new to the forum and I didn't know to the difference. They Looked Fogged up to me and it was the best way I could describe it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd also recommend using an UV block clear coat.

Like Trufire, I sanded mine from 400 - 3000 grit. Also used 5000 grit to polish. After this, the headlights look good. But doing the clear coat fills in the tiny scratches and makes the plastic assembly look like glass.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I'd also recommend using an UV block clear coat.

Like Trufire, I sanded mine from 400 - 3000 grit. Also used 5000 grit to polish. After this, the headlights look good. But doing the clear coat fills in the tiny scratches and makes the plastic assembly look like glass.
Great idea !!! :salute:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts