Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
SuperModulation & 1BADI5

Project Name
HOW-TO Diagnose and Repair "ABS FAULT"

Project Description
Diagnose and repair common ABS failures (ABS FAULT).

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
Medium flat head screw driver
Hammer, NOT BFH!
TECH II or ABS Diagnostic tool

Project Time
10 minutes or less

Project Cost if needed
ABS and Speed Wheel Sensors
Passenger side (RH) Front wheel sensor, GM# 15176998, Price $40.00
Driver side (LH) Front wheels sensor, GM# 15176997, Price $40.00

ABS FAULT Troubleshooting
a. The first thing you should do is check the fuses located in the fuse box under your hood.
b. Inspect both inner wheel hubs for any debris, damage or wheel hub bearing failures.
c. Check both wheel sensors wiring harness and connector located behind the fender.
d. Use ABS diagnostics tools to determine which wheel sensor is malfunctioning.
e. ALL above fails, seek professional help by a certified mechanic.

CAUTION: Always use caution when working under your vehicle. Always park on a level ground, Chuck wheels, Vehicle in PARK, Emergency brake ON and ignition OFF (Keys removed from vehicle).

ABS/SPEED Wheel Sensor location. Front view, turn wheel outward to access sensor.

Check for debris, dirt or any lodged items in between CV/bearing and wheel sensor housing.

Inspect ABS/SPEED sensor wire harness for any cuts or wire exposure.

Check to see if the harness is loose and not obstructed.

Inspect ABS/SPEED electrical connector located behind fender.

1BADI5 - Jeremy

Damaged ABS/SPEED wheel Sensors:
After damaging one of my own wheel speed sensors I gained some insight. The cause of the sensor failure about 75% of the time per GM techs is the highlighted area on the picture below. (I damaged mine while swapping out rotors- going to the PowerSlots. I mishandled while pulling the hub out and not having an extra set of hand to feed the ABS wheel speed sensor harness through the spindle)

The connection from the actual sensor to the harness is very delicate copper coiled wire(encased). The Service Manager informed me that the Colorado's, Silverados, Tahoes, Suburbans and their GMC brothers(2003-2006) all share this design. He said its a very poor design that supposed to be redesigned because of its sensitivity. He then followed on to explain that the techs working on them have had a 50/50 ratio of having them break or good bad while servicing these vehicles; ie working/replacing axle shafts, hubs and other associated components in that region.

So the point for that long winded explanation is to reiterate how careful you need to be with that harness/sensor. It was not even until 2006-07 where you could only buy the sensor from GM; prior to that you had buy the whole hub for $440 bucks(per side) in Dec 2005. Well do to the engineering issue, GM elected to start selling the sensors as a separate part numbers(part numbers are provided above).

Diagnostic Tools
The only way to troubleshoot your ABS electronics is with either a TECH II (Dealer) or a specific ABS scan tool.
The standard ODBII scanner (SCANGAUGE/HPtuner) will not be able to read or clear the log tables.
If the log tables are not cleared, In some states you may fail vehicle state inspection.

Wheel Sensor Alignment
One of the most common ABS failures is also caused by, misaligned or improperly installed wheel sensors.
The sensor is a magnetic pickup type that uses a field effect transistor. This sensor type is considered a low signal pulse and is air gap dependent.
The farther the air gap the lower the signal and visa versa the closer the air gap the higher the pulse signal. The distance between the wheel sensor and the magnet should be about a business card thickness.
Because of the design there is no practical way of calibrating it other than by placing a medium size flat head screw driver next to the sensor, with several taps with a hammer pushing the sensor inward will now bring that gap closer, ie increasing the sensor signal. Do a little at a time then go for a test drive around the block.
The ABS controller resets it's self ever time you shut your truck off. Once you see the DIC clear and no more ABS FAULT, you have the correct air gap.

CAUTION: To much and it will brake the sensor.

Set screw driver blade in between sensor and rim. Tap once or twice and go for a test drive!

Hope this helps and thanks for supporting our 355 community!

James:supermod2:

·
Hybrid
5,842 Posts
Great!!

Hopefully this technique will save someone an unnecessary repair bill.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
ok after checking codes with an ob II scanner i got just a traction fault and abs error both generic non discriptive, so prior to getting a scan with a tech II i looked at a replacement sensor, (i am fimiliar with other gm senors that are built into the bearings) it appears that there are 2 holes for screws to secure it to the bearing housing is this correct or are they alignment holes, also in others threads it was stated to leave the rotor attached to the bearing hub during removal is this to help pull the bearing hub out, because it just seems like added bulk and weight when removing the bearing housing

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have an abs fault that comes and goes...Idk what's upon with it, isn't gonna bother me any till winter tho

·
Registered
47 Posts
I replaced both of my hubs today along with the speed sensor. Because my abs light was on and the dealership guy said both my hubs were bad. I was extra careful with the sensors. After I got everything buttoned up and drove ut a little. My abs light was still on. Will this screw driver thing fix my problems? Or could my problem be some where else. I've spent a lot of money on this already and I don't wanna break the bank with the abs light. What's next?

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TROUBLESHOOTING ABS SYSTEMS.

1) Safely raise and support the vehicle.
2) Disconnect the front wheel speed sensors from their harness and frame.
3) With a digital volt-meter attached to the terminals of each wheel speed sensor connector, rotate the wheel in a clockwise direction approximately one revolution per second. The minimum reading on the meter should be at least 350 ACmV’s. If the reading is less than that, remove the sensor.
4) Plug the sensor bore to prevent debris from falling into the hub.
5) With a wire brush, sandpaper, or another suitable cleaning device, thoroughly clean the speed sensor mounting surface.
6) Examine the sensor head for warpage or distortion due to corrosion build-up. Check the mounting surface of the sensor head for flatness at three or more positions.
7) GM recommends applying two thin coats of rust penetrating lubricant (GM P/N 89022217) to the sensor mounting surface on the bearing hub and allow to dry for 3-5 minutes. Once it has dried, apply a thin layer of bearing grease (GM P/N 01051344) to the hub surface and sensor o-ring, prior to sensor installation.
8) Install the original sensor or replacement sensor in the hub and make certain it is seated flush against the hub.
9) Re-check the sensor voltage while rotating the wheel as previously described. The voltage should read a minimum of 350 ACmV’s.

I also found a TSB for early GM ABS control modules having poor electrical grounds.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
The sensors I bought recently came with a special grease for the back of the hub and sensor. So it seems the aftermarket manufacturers are aware of this as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
"techs working on them have had a 50/50 ratio of having them break"

Well now I don't feel so bad. Thank you SO much for this thread, the Chiltons says replace the whole hub and I damn near cried at that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I was quoed to replace my hubs, the advisor told me he put some ABS sensor because they often break them when removing the hub.... good design by the engineer :ugh:

After seing the price I did them both myself (but I do have the ABS fault from time to time)

For sure will try this How-to :thumbup:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
"techs working on them have had a 50/50 ratio of having them break"

Well now I don't feel so bad. Thank you SO much for this thread, the Chiltons says replace the whole hub and I damn near cried at that.

I shit you not thats what the GM Service Manager told me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TROUBLESHOOTING ABS SYSTEMS.

1) Safely raise and support the vehicle.
2) Disconnect the front wheel speed sensors from their harness and frame.
3) With a digital volt-meter attached to the terminals of each wheel speed sensor connector, rotate the wheel in a clockwise direction approximately one revolution per second. The minimum reading on the meter should be at least 350 ACmV’s. If the reading is less than that, remove the sensor.
4) Plug the sensor bore to prevent debris from falling into the hub.
5) With a wire brush, sandpaper, or another suitable cleaning device, thoroughly clean the speed sensor mounting surface.
6) Examine the sensor head for warpage or distortion due to corrosion build-up. Check the mounting surface of the sensor head for flatness at three or more positions.
7) GM recommends applying two thin coats of rust penetrating lubricant (GM P/N 89022217) to the sensor mounting surface on the bearing hub and allow to dry for 3-5 minutes. Once it has dried, apply a thin layer of bearing grease (GM P/N 01051344) to the hub surface and sensor o-ring, prior to sensor installation.
8) Install the original sensor or replacement sensor in the hub and make certain it is seated flush against the hub.
9) Re-check the sensor voltage while rotating the wheel as previously described. The voltage should read a minimum of 350 ACmV’s.

I also found a TSB for early GM ABS control modules having poor electrical grounds.
Is that 350 ACmV's per side or a combined voltage for both sides together, do you know what the max would be? Is that a constant voltage or does it change as the wheel speeds up, such as driving at 30 then speeding up to 60 does the voltage increase? What color is the + and which is the ground I guess I could do a continuity test to find the ground if it has the same ground as the rest of the truck.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
a few pic are missing can some one fix?

:salute:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
pretty sure they changed the desing on my 09 it's a lil plastic stick that you passes throught the spindle.

heres a few pic i took while trying to fix mine, as you can see they where really dirty.

here you can see that the dirt rubbed so hard on the sensor scratcing it..

clean but no result.. :(

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Any idea if Gm warranty this issue truck's an 09 with 60000 miles on it.?

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the factory warranty is over your going to be SOL.
Mine came on about the same mileage dealer wanted 600 to replace mine right front hub
Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Sol?

1 - 20 of 150 Posts