Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
DJM Suspension
580 W. 184th Street
Gardena, CA 90248
Phone: 310-538-1583 Fax: 310-538-0393
Website. DJM Suspensions
Direct Link. Direct Link To The Article

Project Name
How-To: DJM 3" A-Arms and 4" Blocks Install with Pic's

Project Description
Lowering a 04 Crew Cab Colorado 3” in the front and 4” in the rear.

Skill Level
Medium

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado LS Crew Cab
Year: 2004
Engine: 5cly
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
Jack, Jack Stands, Hammer, Wrenches, and Sockets.
*Air Tools are a plus but not needed*

Project Time
3 hour’s or less

Project Cost
$325.00

To lower the new Chevy Colorado or The GMC Canyon, DJM Suspension didn't just mess around with the coil springs. Determined to preserve the factory ride quality, DJM engineers created a three-inch front drop based on a specially designed lower control arm and a four-inch rear drop achieved with lowering blocks. It should be noted that DJM has manufactured a new, much stronger, all-steel lowering block kit which they recommend for use on all vehicles with six cylinder or larger engines. The DJM 3 X 4 drop kit for the new Colorado proved to be relatively easy and straightforward to install. When installed properly, the kit results in a "macho", aggressive stance when the Colorado is at rest and excellent ride and handling when the vehicle is underway. The stock ride height of the black, four-door Colorado in this installation demonstration measured 19 ½ inches in front and 20 ½ inches in the rear (measured from the center of the wheel to the fender lip). After the installation, the ride height measured exactly 16 ½ inches at both ends, indicating a three-inch drop in front and a four-inch drop in the rear. Although the stock shocks will work with this drop kit, DJM recommends that the stock rear shocks be changed for higher line shocks as part of the installation to improve the resultant ride and handling.

Step 1. The new '04 Chevy Colorado is a four-door, five-cylinder compact mini truck that is being well accepted by the market for its roominess and fuel economy.

Step 2. Record the stock rear ride height, measured from the center of the wheel to the fender lip, at 20 ½ inches.

Step 3. The front ride height measured 19 ½ inches.

Step 4. The DJM specially designed lower control arm (left) compared to the stock Colorado lower control arm.

Step 5. Begin by removing the left front wheel.

Step 6. He then disconnects the tie rod end.

Step 7. The brake caliper is disconnected and hung on a homemade metal hook to avoid damage to the brake lines.

Step 8. The sway bar and end link are unbolted.

Step 9. Next remove the brake caliper.

Step 10. The lower ball joint nut is removed.

Step 11. The strut bolt is removed.

Step 12. Here we remove the pivot bolt which has alignment cams attached. (because the Colorado aligns in the upper control arm rather than in the lower control arm which is quite different than most traditional pickups).

Step 13. The spindle is disconnected from the lower ball joint.

Step 14. The stock control arm is removed.

Step 15. Then remove the ball joint.

Step 16. The stock ball joint is installed onto the new DJM control arm.

Step 17. The new DJM control arm is then installed onto the truck.

Step 18. The lower ball joint nut is tightened securely.

Step 19. Apply a small amount of pressure to the tie rod because the lock nut requires pressure to tighten.

Step 20. The brake caliper is put back on

Step 21. The tie rod end is re-installed and tightened.

Step 22. Here's a look at the lowering block kit for the rear.

Step 23. Remove the rear shock bolt.

Step 24. He then removes the "U" bolts nuts to free the spring plate.

Step 25. Select the correct bushing to fit the "fab" steel block correctly.

Step 26. The lowering block is positioned onto the leaf spring.

Step 27. Here's a comparison of the stock "U" bolt ( top) and the DJM "U" bolt which must be longer to contain the lowering block.

Step 28. The nuts to secure the new "U" bolts are installed.

Step 29. Complete each step on the passenger side after he finishes the driver's side.

Step 30. He then taps each part to be certain the parts are seated properly before thoroughly tightening the bolts.

Step 31. The rear shock is installed.

Step 32. Measurement of the front ride height after the modification shows 16 ½ inches, a three inch drop

Step 33. The new rear ride height also measures 16 ½ inches, a four inch drop.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
crappy pics ;)

i know they were from a magazine article

Maybe we should have Lssport take new pics when he does his lol

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
i will have to do that....dont mind the beer that will be in the pics

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
yeah beer and vehicle work go hand in hand...but as soon as I get them I will post the progress pics of the install

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Re: How-To: DJM 3" A-Arms and 4" Blocks Install with Pic's

what is required for a 2/2 drop on a ZQ8 since mine is already lower then that one was to start with?

·
microwave
5,085 Posts

what is required for a 2/2 drop on a ZQ8 since mine is already lower then that one was to start with?
Belltech balljoints and 2" blocks

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts

Thanks blkrado!

How will it ride with the bell tech stuff? I don't want bump steer or the axle hitting the bump stops over railroad tracks, also would I have modify that tranny mount... I'm not really a fan of cutting the mounts of my frame....in case I wanted to return the truck to stock in the future!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts

so is an alignment job necessary after this due to the alignment is done on the upper control arm?

how long could i roll on stock shocks before it becomes a problem... i just wanna throw it on right now but i dont have any shocks, but i will in 2 weeks

·
Batman
5,649 Posts

so is an alignment job necessary after this due to the alignment is done on the upper control arm?

how long could i roll on stock shocks before it becomes a problem... i just wanna throw it on right now but i dont have any shocks, but i will in 2 weeks
Alignment is a MUST. are you talking about rear shocks? I ran my stock rear shocks with my 3/4 kit, no problems

·
Bagged Bomber
10,954 Posts

ive got my stock shocks on my 5" drop. Im gonna get some new ones as soon.

·
5cylinder and Tire slayer
16,420 Posts

yeah im still on stock shocks..

worn the fuck out, riding like donkey doo doo stock shocks.. but stockers none the less

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts

ok... i was planning on an alignment as soon as i finish installing it... i may do it tomorrow with this write up on hand!

what are the socket sizes for everything if yall dont mind?

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts

what would be some good shocks to get when im ready for some if i had about $100-$150 to play with

·
Registered
141 Posts

Ha, they make it look simple when its done on a brand new truck! Try doing it on my 04 thats been driven in New York winters with all the salt. It took forever, i had to cut out the stock control arms, and buy new 4 alignment adjustment bolts, all around a pain in the ass, but it was def worth it!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
so wen ur installing the blocks, wen u unbolt the leafs will they "sag" enough for u to just put the block in. or is there a method to prying like installing lift shackles?

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
you dont need to unbolt the leafs from the truck, just unbolt the axle from the leaf springs and use a jack to lift up that side of the axleand slide the block in. ill take some pictures next weekend if you wanna see how easy it is.

3/4 on your 22's would be terrifying, tire would prolly be 1/4" from the fender lol.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
o yea i kno that but ima drop the back end for now may flare the bed sides too if i can find sum one with a decent welder and a steady hand

1 - 20 of 57 Posts