Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
pschrags

Project Name
How To: DRL Covers

Project Description
This modification will improve the looks of the DRLs while the hood is open by hiding the wires from sight. This will also help keep water and other debris out/off the wires and electrical devices that may be in there (relays, connectors...)

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado Crew Cab
Year: 2007

Tool Needed
Tools Needed
Phillips head screwdriver
Dremel with grinding wheel
Tin-snips/cutting tool
Drill w/small drill bit
4 x Small screws for mounting
Paint
Lightweight sheet metal
Exacto knife/Scissors

Project Time
20-30 minutes

Project Cost
~$6.00 for sheet metal/aluminum
~$.50 for the two screws (if you don't have any laying around)
~$2.00 to print this out at your local print shop

The template for the DRL covers has been attached to this thread. You will need to save this to your computer, preferably on a removable media of some sort (a thumbdrive or cd will be perfect for this.) The pages that these covers were traced onto were 8.5x11 and as you can see, they stretch from one edge of the paper to the other, which will cause you problems if you try and print these on standard paper since you need a margin with most printer setups. My suggestion would be to go to Kinko's or Office Depot to have these printed on something larger, like 11x14. This will keep the covers in proportion and allow you to trace the design onto the metal that you have chosen to do the covers with.

Once you get them printed off, you will need to cut out the template and trace it onto the sheet metal that you have. The reason you want to select a lighter weight metal is because 1) it will be harder to cut and 2) this could possibly warp your grille and covers if there is too much weight sitting up front. These do not need to be thick or strong since no real load is placed on them, purely cosmetic.

Once you have the templates traced, cut it out. If you use tin snips, you will leave a sharp edge that will need to be ground down; a grinding wheel works perfect for this. You will want to do this since eventually you will need to remove the covers for something and grabbing a nice sharp edge isn't much fun.

Once you get the edges sanded down, use the drill and small bit to drill two holes in the locations that are marked with the circles on the template. It doesn't need to be in the exact location, but get it close so you do in fact land on the ledge that section rests on to screw it down and hold it in place later.

Once you get the holes drilled, take the cover and place it into the DRL (the front should sit under the lip of the DRL housing) and the back should rest down into the housing; you may have to remove the wire connector that is hooked to the DRL between the two bulbs. Then you will use the drill once more to create the holes in the same locations as the previous holes you drilled. Reconnect the wire connector to its original position after you pull out the cover.

Once the cover is out of the DRL housing, paint it if you choose to do so. You can do any color, but most people will run either a gloss black or flat black color so it blends with the rest of the dark gray pieces around it.

After the paint is dry, take the cover over and place it into the housing in the same manor as before. It will not sit perfectly since the wire connector is still in it's original location, but that is why you have the small screws. Push the back edge down and place the screws into the pre-drilled holes and tighten them down. Do not over tighten since you are dealing with plastic and can easily strip the hole out.

Once everything is tight, step back and marvel at your craftsmanship AND the fact that you now have thought of something a GM designer did not when he was creating the truck. :thumbup:

***NOTE: When printing out the supplied template, you will need to print it on legal sized paper unless you have the ability to print without any margins on your paper. The size of the DRL covers spans from one side to the other of an 8.5x11" standard piece of paper.***

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
add some weather stripping and this would be a good mod for guys with drl mods. I know I get lots of water all over the connecters in mine when it rains which could lead to corrosion on the taps.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I want to do this and I am thinking of using black ABS sheet like I used on my intake. I cuts with multiple passes with a razor knife and is already black. Plus you can use the shiny side or the flat black textured side up for your taste.

Here is a pic of the intake work so you can see what I am talking about:

It is 1/8 inch thick....

black abs plastic sheet, eBay Motors, Electronics items on eBay.com

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks tazman. you just gave me a great idea how to finish my blazers stereo surround.
I have been using this ABS since the mid 80's (UMMMM I AM A LITTLE OLD) It is so easy to use now that there are dremel's HAHA! Make sure if you use it anywhere that is near heat, oil, or fuel...Use:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
nice job, made me go...ill be damn hahahah its a really neat idea to clean things up a lil bit, shouldve been a factory piece!

·
Registered
246 Posts
why are you posting pics of your intake in someones how to for drl covers?

ps. i got the covers too, good job paulina.
If you read the thread it is for the example of the ABS plastic sheet I used. A picture is worth a thousand words. There is a link at the bottom also for the Plastic....:shrug:

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
nice write up, i made some 2days ago out of aluminum sheeting i had laying around the garage. Didnt have time to paint em or anything before the big STL S-Series nationals yesterday so i just left em in and went with it! everyone seemed to like the mod of yours!!
also got me first place somehow beating a colorado that was bagged! HAAH cause i did all my own stuff and didnt just go out and buy a bagged colorado yah know.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts