Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

This will be the easiest mod you ever do for nothing! ( update, 11/22/11 this mod is still working with out a problem!)

Hid safe! its actually better for them!

..........If you have factory fogs they will not work without doing the fog lamp relay mod to keep them all on........

I know there are other ways of doing this mod internally but this works just the same.

1. Pull your dimmer (Beam Select) Relay

2. On the bottom of the relay ther are five prongs with numbers. You want to take the two prongs numbered 30 and 87a. Cut a jumper wire and solder the jumper to each prong. Then cover with electrical tape.

3. Put the relay back in back in and turn on your high beams.

Before:

After:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
sweeeet i am goin to do this, does it affect anything in the electrical system?

·
NW Surfrider
5,365 Posts
negative. No effect on electrical system. Our lights are on 2 different systems. This just provides a common ground.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
sweeeet looks like i have sumthn to do soon to the truck

·
NW Surfrider
5,365 Posts
do it now. Takes about 2 minutes. Much happy :)

·
5cylinder and Tire slayer
16,420 Posts
dude thats bad ass!!!

does it matter what kind of wire you use?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a metal one. :shrug:

hey does anyone know if this will affect things later on down the road like the relay itself or any fuses?
i have had them in for a month almost and the highs are on all of the time with no problems..

dude thats bad ass!!!

does it matter what kind of wire you use?
nope.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
a metal one. :shrug:

hey does anyone know if this will affect things later on down the road like the relay itself or any fuses?
It wont cause any harm.

There are guys who have done this well before the Mr. Taillight kit came out for our trucks (which was quite a long time ago -- a couple years if not more) and still have it functioning today, without any problems.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
It wont cause any harm.

There are guys who have done this well before the Mr. Taillight kit came out for our trucks (which was quite a long time ago -- a couple years if not more) and still have it functioning today, without any problems.
that's why i asked. i didn't know if the little kit had anything special about it or if it was just BS. good to know. thanks rudy and norm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To ask what's probably a stupid question, how'd you get your fog lights to stay on with the high beams? Btw, brilliant (so simple its stupid, lol) way of keeping the low beams on with the highs!

·
16,420 Posts
To ask what's probably a stupid question, how'd you get your fog lights to stay on with the high beams? Btw, brilliant (so simple its stupid, lol) way of keeping the low beams on with the highs!
this whole thread.. do that mod.. then your highs will stay on with the fogs and lows.. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i bought the lights after i got the truck so i wired them in to a switch....

that's why i asked. i didn't know if the little kit had anything special about it or if it was just BS. good to know. thanks rudy and norm.
You are welcome dude!

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
I did this mod back in September of 2005.

30 months and over 75k miles later and no issues with the mod. I even have HIDs in my lows! :D

·
16,420 Posts
I did this mod back in September of 2005.

30 months and over 75k miles later and no issues with the mod. I even have HIDs in my lows! :D

what bulbs are in your highbeams?

1 - 20 of 501 Posts