Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

461 - 480 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just my .02 cents. I did this mod a week ago. And it worked. Flawlessly. Then tonight I was on my way home and the lights kept dimming on their own. When I pulled in the driveway, I popped the fuse box cover and the Beam Select Relay was so hot I couldnt hardly touch it.

The electric tape I used to cover my jumper was nearly gone, and the original insulation on my jumper wire was completely gone.

I stuck the relay into one of my a/c vents until it cooled down enough to handle it.

Socket looks ok, relay itself looks ok, was pretty damn hot though. I work in industrial maintenance with 3 phase 480v circuits, and I've had contactors literally shoot out of a panel into my face with a small cartoon size mushroom cloud ensuing. There is too much amperage being pulled through this jump.

I do use my high beams for more than 30 minutes at a time though. I live in rural Kentucky.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
What size wire did you use for the jumper?

I'm on my second Colorado and going on 8yrs with this. No overheating evidence.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Probably is harder on the relay... Never had any problems that I am aware of... Used the bright lights... (all 4) for hours at a time.. Never a hiccup...

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
I use my brights everyday many times a day. Idj if I just had a bad connection or what but it got to a point where the low would flicker on ND off when the highs were on. Bugged the shit out if me so I removed the jumper. Its in the plans to redo it better just don't know when

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just now did the mod on my lunch break here at work and it took longer for the solder iron to heat up than to solder the wire and reinstall. What can I say, E-A-S-Y.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Isn't it also possible to ground the low beams as well? I've seen this done on silverado's but never a colorado, I wasn't sure, but I think all the relay does is cut the ground to the low beam when the high beam is turned on. And if so, has anyone tired this method? I did the relay cross over for my bi-xenon projectors but I am having trouble now.. Please Help! lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
negative. No effect on electrical system. Our lights are on 2 different systems. This just provides a common ground.
If it provides a common ground couldn't you just as well ground the low beam light to the chasse to get the same effect? Maybe this would be a little bit cleaner mod considering you wouldn't have to tamper with the relay.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Isn't it also possible to ground the low beams as well? I've seen this done on silverado's but never a colorado, I wasn't sure, but I think all the relay does is cut the ground to the low beam when the high beam is turned on. And if so, has anyone tired this method? I did the relay cross over for my bi-xenon projectors but I am having trouble now.. Please Help! lol
If it provides a common ground couldn't you just as well ground the low beam light to the chasse to get the same effect? Maybe this would be a little bit cleaner mod considering you wouldn't have to tamper with the relay.
This most definitely works. After doing the same mod on my Tahoe, I tried it on the Colorado and it worked like a charm. Just ground the lowbeam harness to the battery/frame on the drivers side, and you're good to go. I can pull it back apart and provide pics if necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This most definitely works. After doing the same mod on my Tahoe, I tried it on the Colorado and it worked like a charm. Just ground the lowbeam harness to the battery/frame on the drivers side, and you're good to go. I can pull it back apart and provide pics if necessary.
Would you mind posting pics of your install and where/how you grounded the low beam harness? I'm interested in replicating your efforts.

Thanks!

·
Custom User Title
257 Posts
It wont cause any harm.

There are guys who have done this well before the Mr. Taillight kit came out for our trucks (which was quite a long time ago -- a couple years if not more) and still have it functioning today, without any problems.
So, this is what the Mr. Taillight kit provides is a relay with the connection already made?

Or do they just provide a jumper wire for $24?

And, will this mod work on all Colorado trucks thru 2012?

And, does anyone happen to know the GM part number for the relay?
I thought I might keep a replacement onboard in case things go a-rye

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just did this mod to test out my new butane soldering iron. Had a hard time at first. Ive only soldered wires together. So I had to get used to heating the prong first. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
WOW, now I'm finally motivated to upgrade the headlights. Owned mine since '04 but the lighting remains stock. After reading all 24 pages it seems to me the best plan would be to combine this simple modification with the installation of LEDS. The reduced wattage requirement of the LEDs mean's that the 10 amp fuses are adequate and the relay wouldn't stressed. I plan to install the jumper wire a little differently and will provide a photo when its done.
I use lot's of crooked rural roads and actually being able to see the deer, raccoons, owls, cows, and other night creatures will be great.
Anyone have any experience using high output low beams in heavy fog? Is more light worse? I know high beams become useless.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I did both mods and am running Diode Dynamics XML2 6000K LEDs in high beams, low beams and fogs (I have a Z71 so the fogs and high beams take the same bulb). I am very, very happy with the results. The XML2 6000K bulbs put out a very bright, white light. They make the stock halogens look yellow.

[URL=http://s611.photobucket.com/user/dsheffield4/media/20160817_205947_zpsesmpv36e.jpg.html][/URL]

Can't answer your question on driving in the fog, however, have not driven in much fog lately.

·
Registered
198 Posts
WOW, now I'm finally motivated to upgrade the headlights. Owned mine since '04 but the lighting remains stock. After reading all 24 pages it seems to me the best plan would be to combine this simple modification with the installation of LEDS. The reduced wattage requirement of the LEDs mean's that the 10 amp fuses are adequate and the relay wouldn't stressed. I plan to install the jumper wire a little differently and will provide a photo when its done.
I use lot's of crooked rural roads and actually being able to see the deer, raccoons, owls, cows, and other night creatures will be great.
Anyone have any experience using high output low beams in heavy fog? Is more light worse? I know high beams become useless.
If your low beams and fogs have the right bulb placing and correct aiming it should work in heavy fog. The problem most people run into is the placement on the LED bulb is different from the placement of the filament on the stock bulb thus creating a wash.
I ran into this on my old truck so this time I ordered led bulbs with the same filament/LED placement and the lighting is more aimed like stock but much brighter.

461 - 480 of 501 Posts