Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

481 - 500 of 501 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
I know this is an old one. But has anyone checked to see if there is a relay that is already configured to where 30 and 87a poles are on a common ground like the OP explained?

Just curious. Planning on doing this mod and figured I would check if I could find a diagram for the relay to see if I could find another one already set up properly. No soldering required and all...

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I did this mod years ago, no prob
with it yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Went by the body shop and stole some relays off her lol.

got this one done.

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
On low beam will it make the light to intense for other drivers?
Only the low beams will be on in the low beam setting. This mod keeps the low beams on when the high beams are activated. In stock form, the low beams turn off when the high beams are on

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Thanks for this easy mod info. Finally got around to it today. Works as described. Took me just a few minutes to do as soon as I found my missing electric tape. :salute:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks really neat! I'm actually having an issue with my low beams only, the passenger side does not work. Both High beams work. I have checked and the bulb is fine, I checked the fuses they are fine. This has been a continuous problem, I had it in the shop about six weeks ago and they replaced the fuse panel as the old one had partially melted ( I saw it at the shop, and it was indeed melted) and after the new fuse panel was installed low beam worked up until yesterday, I'm not sure what else it would be but would like my light to work.

Thank you for your help,

AZColorado

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just wondering why a lot of Colorado/Canyon owners are still using their stock high beam bulbs, or replacing them with silverstars...ect. garbage. I put a set of TOSHIBA HIR 9011 bulbs in. You can find them on eBay Motors, the sellers name is hir_headlights . They cost about $29 each. They're the next best thing to HIDs!
If you have HIDs as your highbeams, how do you flash-to-pass an eighteen wheeler?
My low beam HIDs are not instant on.
9011 cool. Did you put in a heavier harness

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anybody know if this will this work in my new 2019 Colorado or is this just for the older gen vehicles, as maybe the wiring is different?
On my previous C5 vette, there was a 4-on harness you could buy and hook up in the fuse box to accomplish this, but this method is a lot simpler (and cheaper) if it still works in the newer trucks. Will have to do this mod, and maybe upgrade the lows to HIR bulbs for even more light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went out to look at my 2019, and, as expected, the layout of the fuse/relay panel is totally different that that depicted in the original post, and, to make matters worse, there is no relay listed as "Beam Select" in the owners manual, and to make it even worse yet, the fuse for the left side low beam is in the underhood fuse box, while the fuse for the right side low beam is in the passenger footwell fuse box, so I can't even hook up the 4-on harness I used before to connect up the individual high and low fuses.
I assume the low beams are connected to each other somehow in the truck's wiring, so if I tap into the highbeam and left sided low beam fuses in the engine compartment fuse box with my relay in the circuit, both lows should be energized rather than just the driver's side one alone. Anyone have any clue about this, or any knowledge on how to do this mod on a 2019, like what other relay or jump wire to use and where?

·
Registered
1 Posts

This will be the easiest mod you ever do for nothing! ( update, 11/22/11 this mod is still working with out a problem!)

Hid safe! its actually better for them!

..........If you have factory fogs they will not work without doing the fog lamp relay mod to keep them all on........

I know there are other ways of doing this mod internally but this works just the same.

1. Pull your dimmer (Beam Select) Relay

2. On the bottom of the relay ther are five prongs with numbers. You want to take the two prongs numbered 30 and 87a. Cut a jumper wire and solder the jumper to each prong. Then cover with electrical tape.

3. Put the relay back in back in and turn on your high beams.

Before:

After:

Wow that's it?? Just one thin copper wire under a relay?!

Also, I do want the fog lights to come on as well. But I don't know what you mean by "Fog light mod"

This will be the easiest mod you ever do for nothing! ( update, 11/22/11 this mod is still working with out a problem!)

Hid safe! its actually better for them!

..........If you have factory fogs they will not work without doing the fog lamp relay mod to keep them all on........

I know there are other ways of doing this mod internally but this works just the same.

1. Pull your dimmer (Beam Select) Relay

2. On the bottom of the relay ther are five prongs with numbers. You want to take the two prongs numbered 30 and 87a. Cut a jumper wire and solder the jumper to each prong. Then cover with electrical tape.

3. Put the relay back in back in and turn on your high beams.

Before:

After:

Wow, that's it?? Just a thin copper wire under a relay?! Noice!

Also, I would like my fog lamps to stay on as well, but I'm not sure what you meant by "fog lamps relay mod". Do you just do the same thing to the fog relay?

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Here is a link to the "How-to" thread on the fog lamps mod:

How To: Run Factory Fogs on High Beam - REVISED

I did both this mod and high-low beam mod on my truck years ago and both are still working perfectly. My fog lamps are on anytime the headlights (not the DRL's) are on. When I turn high beams on, the high beams, low beams and fog lamps are all on at the same time. Makes a big difference.

481 - 500 of 501 Posts