Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
blurred

Project Name
How To dye your interior plastics

Project Description
With people changing the color of the headliner, the gray/tan color does not always work. Dyeing the plastics is a better alternative to painting due to the fact it is a permanent, scratch resistant color change. The handles and hooks can still be used as intended without having to take special care not to damage them.

Skill Level
Easy/Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2007
Engine: 3.7L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
iDye Poly Fabric dye
stove
pan large enough to accommodate parts (I used a disposable pan)
water
rubber/plastic gloves

Project Time
~1 hour

Project Cost
$5-$10 depending on the materials you need to purchase

Since I have not seen plastics for these trucks in black, and because I am a big DIYer, I decided to try this and it worked out great!

The first step is to find your iDye poly color that you plan to use. I had some black sitting around from when I had planned to do some designs on some Disc Golf Discs, but never used. So, I decided to try it out... I do not know what other colors will work or how they will work, but they have a plethora to choose from.

You can find your iDye here: Amazon.com: idye poly or by going to Google and searching for "iDye Poly"

Rit dye also works as well on these. @un4giv3n has had some in his truck for 2 years and they still look good. I have found that Rit is easier for me to access locally than iDye. If I need to dye these darker, I am going to end up soaking them in Rit. It's the same process as below.

Okay, so you now have your iDye Poly and are ready to start. Fill your bowl with water but be sure not to fill it to high as you will be placing the plastics in there. You do NOT want this to spill all over the place. Once you have the water, put it on the stove and heat it up. It's good to bring it to a slight boil, enough so the water is moving around but not enough to spill out. These are the type of pan I used

Mix in the iDye Poly color and the Color Enhancer by stirring it in slowly. It is recommended that you do not use the stirring device again for anything that is ingested.

Be careful with this stuff as it will stain almost anything. The tile on the floor and glass stove top/granite counters did not stain, but I used this on some Gortex boots and it worked like a charm. Also, I got a little on my shirt and now that is permanent. I decided to use some gloves that I used for fiberglassing and it worked well. A little bit of dye got through to my hands, but nothing terrible. I'm also used to having stained hands from working on the truck and whatnot...

Once mixed, place your parts in the water. Let them sit in there from 5-20 minutes. I didn't time mine, I simply pulled them out every so often to see the results. If I wasn't happy, I put them back in.

When they are the color you want, move the pieces from the water to somewhere they can sit. I used the other metal pan. Once I had all the parts dyed, I moved the pan to the sink and let cold water run over them.

Once clean, I pulled them out and sat them on an old towel to dry.

Here's the end result that I am very pleased with.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nice How-To. I've never heard of this before, didn't know you could dye plastics that well! If they have red I may have to give it a try

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Well done Boydman

·
Registered
280 Posts
Question....when you put the parts in you still had it on the stove?

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup. The stove isn't hot enough (or shouldn't be) to melt the parts so they can sit in there while it's on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
wonder if this would work for the bezels around the a/c vents, radio, and door handles? Hmmm... inquiring minds want to know :)

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Is there any fading during rinse phase? In that if you remove it from the dye and feel satisfied, does it stay that color? Or is it advised to leave it sit just a little longer than what you feel is the desired result before rinsing?

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Here's a couple shots of my handle after 2+ years with the Rit black.

some notes, I used the powder stuff when I did mine and not the liquid.

@He11b0und so it may not have been strong enough, because i also tried to do the clips on the headliner like Boyd did, and also the inside door handle cups, and it didn't really change it. With that being said, I may try the liquid next weekend on a spare set of visor plastics that i have laying around

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems there may have been a little fading as I noticed that when I took them outside. I may not notice it at all when I install them in the truck...

Honestly, it could have also been that I didn't soak them all at the same time to get an even color.

As for the fading: doesn't appear to be... You rinse it off, dry it with a towel and hold it in the light. It's pretty much the color once you have it dry...

·
Darth Vader
5,223 Posts
I did this a while back on my handles and it still looks as good as the day I did it. Got the idea from the other forum, but glad to see it finally show up here. Thanks Boyd!
@Freeballin get the water/dye mix to a slow boil before you immerse the plastics

Can I add a lil something? In my experience, this method did work for my grab handles. However, it might not work for all (I.E. other vehicles) I showed a friend what I did and he tried to do the same on his handles in a Hyundai Sonata. His handles didn't want to take the dye. I wasn't with him when he attempted to do it, so maybe he did something different :shrug: I just wanted to put it out there that this MAY not work on other vehicle plastics (or other plactics is a 355 like vent bezels) End solution for said friend was the Dupli-color vinyl/fabric dye in a rattle can

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Nice write up Boyd !!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts