Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great write up! Installed mine in under 25 min. I do have a few ommissions, and changes to the instructions. Not that anything is wrong with these.

Here are my minor changes:

1) I only used the long cable, I have no need to ever remove the tailgate, and I hate extra connections just more to go wrong later. After stringing and stabilizing the cable, I had 3 feet extra on a crew cab.
2) I drilled the hole 3/8" rather than the suggested 7/16, to make for a more water tight seal w/ a touch of silicon grease to pull the cable trough.
3) I plan on spraying/brushing on rubberized under carriage coating on both sides of the through body hole for more water resistance.
4) When I finally get a light bar I will drill a hole for the cable, in the lip underneath the tailgate.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Hey I'm looking at this for my '10 Colorado CC 5.3L Z71 and had a couple questions 1) the factory tailgate handle doesn't have to be a manually locking one right, and 2) you don't have to replace your factory handle if its not a locking one right? I like the way the handle looks on my tailgate and the Pop and Lock replacement is either all black or all chrome which I don't like.

Be gentle, newbies first post.

·
Members Technical Staff
2,499 Posts
It works independent of manual lock cylinder -- so operation is the same on trucks with/without the manual lock. So you're good to go!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
It works independent of manual lock cylinder -- so operation is the same on trucks with/without the manual lock. So you're good to go!
Sweet - Appreciate it. Ordering it now.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Has anyone installed this on a 2010 or newer crew cab? Installed mine and tapped into the Tan and Gray wires and nothing.

For a simple test I could just put a voltage to those wires right, the thought being to test the solenoid itself before getting too into the weeds about the wires themselves.

Anyone know the voltage on the door lock wire?

·
Members Technical Staff
2,499 Posts
I installed mine on a '12 crew cab. You should be able to use a $5 electrical tester to probe the wires; hook it up & then cycle the door locks. If it lights up you're a winner. I don't recall having to pick through the loom for wires other than suggested in the instructions...

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I installed mine on a '12 crew cab. You should be able to use a $5 electrical tester to probe the wires; hook it up & then cycle the door locks. If it lights up you're a winner. I don't recall having to pick through the loom for wires other than suggested in the instructions...
Thanks man, I'll try again. Might just not have been making a good connection.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just installed this in my '12 Colorado crew cab with no problems. It was a breeze mounting the solenoid, running the wires, making the connections, and anything else.

-I only had a 3/8 drill bit and it was ok, although my cable was a tight fit.

Any questions with your install PM me and I can try and assist.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Thinking of doing this, but removing key access and in the hole for cylinder place the backup camera. Thoughts?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts