Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
rshadd

Project Name
How-to install a GM Homelink module

Project Description
I've never liked the look of having my garage door opener hanging on my visor. GM came up with a nice remote door opener solution called HomeLink. The problem is GM never offered it as an option for the Colorado or Canyons. This how-to demonstrates one method for installing a GM HomeLink module in your truck.

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2009
Engine: 5.3L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: Yes

Parts Needed
GM Homelink Module with Rolling Code. Try to find a module with an amber/yellow LED, these are the rolling code modules. Homelink modules with a red LED are not rolling code and are less desirable. I used a HomeLink module from an 1997 Cadillac Deville. Try to find one that has the factory wiring pigtail included.

Tools Needed
  • Drill & Bits
  • Dremmel Tool
  • File
  • Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
  • Masking/Painters Tape
  • Marking Pen (e.g. Sharpie)
  • Electrical Tape

Project Time
3-4 hours

Project Cost
I picked up an rolling code HomeLink Module with the wiring pigtail from a 1997 Cadillac Deville. I found it on eBay for less than $20. Search eBay for "homelink rolling code cadillac -visor".

I decided to install the module in the center console tray. I choose this location for a couple of reason: First, the center tray is easily removed. This allows most of the modification to be perform outside of the truck on the bench. Second, the center tray is fairly cheap to replace if you screw up and need to replace it. Third, this location is right at your finger tips when installed.

Here's how I did it...
  1. Carefully remove the Center Console Tray. I used a trim tool, but a small screw driver works too. Pry from the sides, not from the front or back, to avoid breaking the tabs.

2. You need to run a 12 volt feed to power the HomeLink module. I tapped into the hazard light for my 12 volt feed, but any 12 volt constant will do. The wires were then ran under the center console. (I did this part when I installed my stereo. I had the console out at the time)

3. Carefully disassemble the HomeLink module. This is done by splitting the case under the front bezel and prying the hard black plastic module apart. The bottom separates from the top.

4. Use a Dremmel tool with a small cut-off wheel to get the front bezel. Smooth the back of the bezel with a file or a Dremmel so that the edges are flush and smooth like shown.

5. Apply masking/painters tape to the console and mark the position for the bezel. I centered mine and dropped it down .25" from the top edge.

6. Now carefully cut out the opening with a dremmel tool. Take you time here. A good eye and a steady hand are necessary here. Start with a smaller opening and enlarge it to fit the switches. Then use a file to smooth the edges.

7. Drill a small hole in the corner for the LED and test the fit of the switches.

8. When your happy with the fit, glue the bezel to the console tray. I used an hot glue adhesive.

9. I added a 5 amp in-line fuse to the wiring pigtail to protect the circuit.

10. Re-assemble the circuit board in the housing. Then glue the housing back together as shown.

11. Cover the exposed opening with electrical tape. Use another piece of electrical tape to cover the switches circuit board.

12. Connect your 12 volt feed to the wiring pigtail on the Homelink module.

13. Reinstall the center console tray.

14. Program the HomeLink module and enjoy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Excelente trabajo, sólo una duda.... el módulo GM homelink queda en la parte inferior de la cabina, la señal igual alcanza al portón automático?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Excellent work, only one question .... GM homelink module is at the bottom of the cabin, as the signal reaches the automatic gate?

·
Norse god of maintenance
113 Posts
Thanks for the great idea. The wifes car came with homelink and i'd wanted one since then, now i have one too.

Here is a pic of mine installed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cool idea I just ordered a module after seeing Austin's

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've installed one (without compass) in my tacoma (Autodimming Homelink). Easy install if you have access to power in the ceiling via overhead console.

I couldn't tell you anything about the 'compass' part. Curious - is the compass actually inside the mirror?

Another option if you're a tech electronics guru.... This is in a corvette, but you could do it on anything.
http://www.lieblweb.com/homelink.html
(my husbands writeup)

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
question. does it matter what gauge wire you use to attach to the power? and the black doesnt get grounded correct?
18 gauge should be fine as the homelink module draws less then 5 amps. I used 16 gauge because that's what I had on hand. Ground the black wire feeding the homelink.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
just bought one for $15 on ebay...can't wait. Tired of trying to find the damn garage opener in my center console every time. Great write up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts