Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
codered

Project Name
How To: Remove Stock Grille Shell

Project Description
Need to do this to access anything behind the grill, install hid's, swap out grille....ect

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2004
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
Large Screwdriver

Project Time
10 - 20 minutes

Project Cost
Free

(Also a Video provided by AXX)

GRILL REMOVAL VID

1. Unhook the wires form the upper light set

2. Unhook the 4 black plastic plug things that run across the top of the grill
(no pic due to the fact i tossed mine because they were not necessary in my opinion)

3. Taking a long flat head screw driver pop out the metal tabs on each side of the headlights. The one on top is cake. The second you have to be careful on as to not scratch your paint.

Note: when popping out the second lower metal tab on each side use a soft cloth or towel so you don't clip your paint

4. Pop the 3 middle metal tabs. I generally start with the middle tab, then do the right tab and then the left.
(thats easiest for me)

The Metal Tabs

Also including a closeup of the 2 10mm nuts holding on the bowtie

Attachments

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Re: *HOW-TO* Grill Removal (Pics & Video)

If you choose to keep the four plastic clips along the top of the grille - MAKE SURE you put them into the grille before you put the grille back onto the truck. If you leave them on the truck they will break.

·
Registered
181 Posts

If you choose to keep the four plastic clips along the top of the grille - MAKE SURE you put them into the grille before you put the grille back onto the truck. If you leave them on the truck they will break.
lol. when i took my grill off, they didn't break, they fell the fuck out, only ever found 3 of em...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

CodeRed, for the metal clips on the side, its easier if you just get a long neck screw driver (about 10in long) and you can get the clip from up top, what I do is just wedge the flathead between the frame, and the clip and turn, and POP out it comes... WORKS perfect, no body damage

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

CodeRed, for the metal clips on the side, its easier if you just get a long neck screw driver (about 10in long) and you can get the clip from up top, what I do is just wedge the flathead between the frame, and the clip and turn, and POP out it comes... WORKS perfect, no body damage
Same here!

Way easier than trying to squeeze the screwdriver in between the fender and light.

G

·
0 Posts
Re: How-To: Grill Removal (Pics & Video)

dumbest question but its the same of a 05 gmc canyon right?

·
Premium Member
21,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

if not should be very similar but should be the same

G

·
0 Posts

ok jw ha id like to kno everything before i got tearing my truck apart haha

·
Registered
161 Posts

nice write up. iv been wanting to paint my font end for a while now.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts

this will come in handy when i get the vertical grill from a member. altho my stock grill has a small crack by the bowtie, i would like to save it and shave the bowtie.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hate to pull this old thread back up (exactly one year later according to the last post date), but do the turn signal housings come out with the grill as a unit leaving only the headlights attached to the radiator support?

·
Registered
2 Posts
very detailed right up...i took mine off and the left headlight too...all went back the same except the heeadlight sits bout half an inch off the bumper...is there a way to lower it back down?

·
MTS Crew!
4,934 Posts
There some tabs on the bottom of the headlights at the back than need to go into holes for the head lights to seat properly.

When you put the headlight back in place the bottom in first then tilt up to match up the bolt holes hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts