Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
ZQ85cyl5speed

Project Name
How-To: Install a New Shift Knob/Boot

Project Description
Get rid of that stock looking and feeling shifter know and replace with a sportier feel and look.

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
5/16 hex alan wrench
2 part epoxy

Project Time
approximately one hour

Project Cost
Depending on what knob or boot you want.

As posted in another thread, I am going to explain how to modify your stock shifter to install any aftermarket Knob/boot combo. I'm going off memory here, it was a while since I did it, but people have asked recently.

Shift Knob Selection:
Select the knob/boot that you want to use. Be advised that if the boot is not made specifically to attach to the bottom of the knob, you will have to fabricate a way for it to sit below the knob, or some of the bare shifter level will be exposed. Also, many boots are not big enough for the 355 boot design, as our boots are much longer in the back than in the front.

I selected a nice perforated chrome MOMO knob with matching leather boot. Knowing right away that the boot was not going to completely replace the old boot, I decided that since they matched perfectly, I would leave the old boot in place and install the new one over it, folding the elastic in the back under and sewing it into the old boot for a single, clean seam.

Remove Trim Ring, Boot and lever:
The trim ring removes from the center console with a few snaps. Be careful not to break any of the plastic tabs. Unsnap the boot retaining ring from the inside of the trim ring. Set the trim ring aside. Lift the boot up over the knob and notice the shift lever is held to the shifter with one 5/16 hex head set screw. Remove the set screw (it's torqued on pretty good) and slide the lever, knob and boot off as an assembly.

Remove the soft plastic knob from the hard plastic piece underneath by slicing up the side and peeling it off (No turning back from here!). Once the soft plastic knob is removed, notice the plastic piece attached to the shaft. That piece is pressed/bonded on. Hold that piece in a vise and twist the lever free. Slide the boot over the top, and now the lever is free.

Make the New Knob and Boot Fit:
Test fit the new knob. If the knob inner diameter (ID) is bigger than the lever outer diameter (OD) (not likely BTW, the lever is about 9/16" in diameter at the end), The knob should have come with some shims to fit it.

In the case of my MOMO selection, the lever was much bigger than the knob. In order to make it fit, I ground the lever end down with a bench grinder and bored out the knob as far as it would go until I got a good snug fit. Alternitavely, you can tap/die the ends of the lever and knob to thread once you have ground/bored enough, if you are so equipped.

If you have a new boot, and it will fit completely in place of the old one, remove the retaining ring from the old boot and wrap the new one around it for installation into the trim ring. If it does not completely replace the old boot, you can either attach the front under the trim ring and tuck the back under and sew it in place, or you can leave the old boot in, using RTV or even a rubber band to keep the top of the boot against the bottom of the knob.

Install New Assembly:
Once the knob fits over the lever: take it off, slide the boot over top of the lever, re-attach the lever to the shifter with the set screw, reinstall the boot retaining ring into the trim ring, and snap the trim ring in place. Attach your new knob over top. I recommend bonding the knob with your favorite high strength adhesive. I used 2 part golf club epoxy. Let set and enjoy.

Sorry I don't have pics of the process, but I did it a while ago, and it ain't coming off now!

Reactions: mc

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
This is the knob I got but the gear numbers light up blue.

ok here are the begining steps pics for the sifter knob and boot and center counsole. per the write up above.

this is the on the drivers side

the ruber handle ills in the ribs of the plastic base.

pealing this off took some muscle

the plastic base is glued on and the metal shift rod has ridges to keep the handle from spining. Gettin that off was not an easy task.

Up to this point I followed the walk through above.

The shift knob I bought did not fit over the shift rod for the rod was to big. That will be an issue if you buy a universal shift knob. I had to grind my shift rod down to fit in the knob. these pics are from the grinding.
the white plastic ring is the ring that holds the boot up to the knob. I used a bench grinder to take this down slowly and contantly testing the fit till the knob fit purfectly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool. That's pretty much it. Thanks for adding the pics, and a nice shift knob selection!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Here is an update... I had a rattle coming from my shift knob and for the longest time I thought it was the shift knob but it wasnt.. If you look at the first pic of the shaft grinded down there is a metal cap and instertion shaft that goes down into the top of the main shaft. I did not know this till I pulled it all apart thinking the knob was rattling. Once I got the knob off and the rattle was still there I pressed on the top of the shaft just a little and the rattle stoped. so for a fix and I hope it last I gave it a little tap (and I mean a little tap) with a hamer to tighten it down and one time around it with some electrical tape to keep the metal shaft from vibrating the metal knob. The tape should also hold the cap a little too..

·
Registered
81 Posts
has anyone done any mods to theirs where the boot doesn't come all the way up to the shifter. I really dislike the look of the whole shift knob. I think a piece of aluminum or black steel coming out of the floor with a boot that ends a couple of inches up the shaft would look way better, and with a new knob of course.

but i know the stock one as the dampening fork inside it to stop vibration, I wonder how bad it would be without it. anyone know??

·
Registered
36 Posts
On my '06 I just took the shift lever off and put a shift knob where the old shifter bolted to. There isn't any bad vibrations or anything and after driving it a couple days you get used to having a 4'' shifter. One big benefit to this is that you can shift a lot faster and you don't have that really sloppy shift like the stock one does. But I'm an idiot and for some reason the reach is almost perfect for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, going off this whole thread, the shift knob is NOT a thread on type?

·
MTS Crew!
4,934 Posts
The Wolf! sells shifters that are threaded check his section out in the market place if you are looking for something a little more custom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thought I'd show you guys what I had made. One piece shifter made from aluminum had it heat treated and polished. I used the original boot.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Just a little tip, once I cut the black rubber off the shift knob. I couldn't really twist the plastic that is left off the shaft. I hit it a couple times with a hammer and it broke apart then comes off easily. I slipped the boot off, took the white plastic ring that holds the boot up off. Then I cut the shaft down some and welded a piece of all thread onto it.

Silent images mentioned some rattling in one of his posts. Well there is a piece of rod in the center of the shifter shaft that could come loose. After cutting part of the shaft down, the rod fell out.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I used to have one of this skull shift knobs on my previous truck. Loved to death. Unfortunately I moved into an auto tranny

1 - 20 of 23 Posts