Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this seems to be a pretty common question im asked, so i figure ill do a write up for yall.

what you'll need
-Blazer Baja Foglights ($20 at Walmart)
-Socket/wrench set
-Drill/bits
-L Brackets (If you dont want to drill your bumper)

first thing you'll want to do is figure out your wiring. Its pretty simple if you folow the diagram included w/ the lights. Getting through the firewall can be a pain in the ass if your not sure how to do it (took me about an hour or 2 to get the wiring set up, but im electrically challenged). The wiring is pretty simple once you get the wires through the firewall. just run em under the dash, plug them into the switch (i mounted mine under my CD player, but if you have the stock radio, you'll probobly have to mount it elsewhere)

once you get the wires set up. take a razor knife and cut out the plastic slots in the bumper where the lights should go. (take it easy, the plastic is really thin and easy to over-cut) take the lights, n' attach the wire connectors to them (they just crimp on)

from there, you have 2 choices as to how exactly you mount the lights, you could take my method, n' bend an L bracket on an angle so you can bolt one end to the stock foglight mount hole, and bolt the light to the other end...OR if your comfortable with your measuring skills, you could just drill straight up into the bumper above the hole, n' bolt the light directly (i didn't want to drill into my bumper, figure i'd probobly drill the wrong spot n' mess it all up)

once you got the lights bolted on where they line up pretty well, you just connect the wires to them, put the hot wire onto the battery, n' flip the switch

Once you have them mounted and working, you'll probobly want to take the lights apart and cut the plastic grill's off of them, after which they will appear to be completely stock :D (i left mine on, kinda like the way it looks w/ my grillgaurd)

The only catch with installing them with L-brackets like i did, is they do shake a bit when driving, but i only use mine when i actually need the extra light,and in those situations im usually paying too much attention to the road to notice the shake, lol.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got the idea of how to do it at the cfans site, but no one on there was willing to actually explain HOW to install em, they all just said that the baja's would work, lol

·
Registered
598 Posts
Re: How-To: Install aftermarket Foglights that appear stock

would it be easy to add HIDs to these fogs? or would i be better off with OEM ones?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Nice job, looks stock for the most part. But i agree on your truck it looks pretty good with those grill things still on the lights. Thanks for taking the time and doing the write up with pics, Im sure thats going to help someone out

Jeremy

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

its an old pic, ive actuallly removed the grillgaurd entirely now (got into a wreck in may, n' the gaurd actually did more damage to my truck than it would've had without it :| ) i still need to replace my hood, grill and headlights:(

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts

its an old pic, ive actuallly removed the grillgaurd entirely now (got into a wreck in may, n' the gaurd actually did more damage to my truck than it would've had without it :| ) i still need to replace my hood, grill and headlights:(
Thats crazy. did you have the Hunter guard? I'm glad I took mine off if thats the case.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thats crazy. did you have the Hunter guard? I'm glad I took mine off if thats the case.
yeah, i mean, it MIGHT have helped (without it the guys trailer hitch might've gone into my radiator) but it dented my bumper, cracked the grillguard, dented thehood, broke the inside supports on the headlights, it sucked. im just now slowly replacing all the parts

·
Registered
757 Posts

hey can the BAJA lights be upgraded to HID?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

i honestly dont know, they probobly could be, im not sure what kind of bulb they use though. you'd probobly have to cut the grills off em if ya did tho

·
Registered
757 Posts

thats what im looking at doing if they can be cuz then it would be cheaper and still have fogs ya know

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

i personally would get the HIDS for the headlights n' not the fogs, but eh, to each his own

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

if you want to take it a step further, its EXTREMELY easy to hook up a second set of lights behind your grill, all you need is a flat piece of steel or aluminum...im hoping to add this mod later, right now i just got a single center light wired up back there, n' its alright...but 2 would be better

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
1 - 20 of 63 Posts