Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

How To: Install aftermarket Foglights that appear stock

Tags
how to
54K views 62 replies 36 participants last post by  Nor*Cal Colorado 
#1 ·
this seems to be a pretty common question im asked, so i figure ill do a write up for yall.

what you'll need
-Blazer Baja Foglights ($20 at Walmart)
-Socket/wrench set
-Drill/bits
-L Brackets (If you dont want to drill your bumper)

first thing you'll want to do is figure out your wiring. Its pretty simple if you folow the diagram included w/ the lights. Getting through the firewall can be a pain in the ass if your not sure how to do it (took me about an hour or 2 to get the wiring set up, but im electrically challenged). The wiring is pretty simple once you get the wires through the firewall. just run em under the dash, plug them into the switch (i mounted mine under my CD player, but if you have the stock radio, you'll probobly have to mount it elsewhere)

once you get the wires set up. take a razor knife and cut out the plastic slots in the bumper where the lights should go. (take it easy, the plastic is really thin and easy to over-cut) take the lights, n' attach the wire connectors to them (they just crimp on)

from there, you have 2 choices as to how exactly you mount the lights, you could take my method, n' bend an L bracket on an angle so you can bolt one end to the stock foglight mount hole, and bolt the light to the other end...OR if your comfortable with your measuring skills, you could just drill straight up into the bumper above the hole, n' bolt the light directly (i didn't want to drill into my bumper, figure i'd probobly drill the wrong spot n' mess it all up)

once you got the lights bolted on where they line up pretty well, you just connect the wires to them, put the hot wire onto the battery, n' flip the switch

Once you have them mounted and working, you'll probobly want to take the lights apart and cut the plastic grill's off of them, after which they will appear to be completely stock :D (i left mine on, kinda like the way it looks w/ my grillgaurd)

The only catch with installing them with L-brackets like i did, is they do shake a bit when driving, but i only use mine when i actually need the extra light,and in those situations im usually paying too much attention to the road to notice the shake, lol.

See less See more
#9 ·
Re: How-To: Install aftermarket Foglights that appear stock

Nice job, looks stock for the most part. But i agree on your truck it looks pretty good with those grill things still on the lights. Thanks for taking the time and doing the write up with pics, Im sure thats going to help someone out

Jeremy

#11 ·

its an old pic, ive actuallly removed the grillgaurd entirely now (got into a wreck in may, n' the gaurd actually did more damage to my truck than it would've had without it :| ) i still need to replace my hood, grill and headlights:(

#12 ·

its an old pic, ive actuallly removed the grillgaurd entirely now (got into a wreck in may, n' the gaurd actually did more damage to my truck than it would've had without it :| ) i still need to replace my hood, grill and headlights:(
Thats crazy. did you have the Hunter guard? I'm glad I took mine off if thats the case.

#16 ·

thats what im looking at doing if they can be cuz then it would be cheaper and still have fogs ya know

#19 ·

if you want to take it a step further, its EXTREMELY easy to hook up a second set of lights behind your grill, all you need is a flat piece of steel or aluminum...im hoping to add this mod later, right now i just got a single center light wired up back there, n' its alright...but 2 would be better

#20 ·
#21 ·

i really only use my fogs when the weather is extremely bad, and i doubt any cop would care if i am using extra light in a major fog/downpour

im also considering switching the light for some LED strips similar to what you have, but in red, give it a nice glow at night

#29 ·

as long as the dimensions are good i think they will look dope. bright ass yellow fogs are tits in actual deep fog or heavy rain. but holy expensive on those ones!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.