Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
Supermodulation

Project Name
How To: Install AirLift Bag Spacers on a Lifted Z71 with AAL

Project Description
This write-up is an upgrade to your exiting AirLift installation.
Add 1 1/2" Spacer Blocks to your AirLift Bags.

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Modified GMT355:
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon SLE 4WD
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
9/16 socket
9/16 open end wrench
Large Philip's head screw driver

Parts Needed
Add-A-Leaf: Skyjacker AAL RCC25
Shocks: Skyjacker H7084
Air Bags: AirLift Ride Control # 59539
Compressor: AirLift SureSet with Digital Controller

Hardware:
Spacer Blocks: 2 x 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" x Thickness 3/4" for a total of 1 1/2" spacer block.
Bolts: 2, Modified original 1/2 bolt by welding on 1 1/2" for a total of 2" in length.

Project Time
1 Hour

Project Cost
$10.00

Tools:

Original 1/2" x 7/8 " Taper Flat Head Bolts:

Extended 2" bolt:

Spacer Blocks: 2 x Length - 3 1/2" x Width - 2 1/2" x Thickness 3/4".

De-pressurize air bags by disconnecting air lines:

Remove air bag bottom shackle bracket and install spacer with longer bolt.

Note: Do NOT over tighten bolt!
Make sure when installing the spacers to keep the shackle bracket parallel to the shackle.
This will prevent the air bags from twisting when you inflate them.

·
Registered
790 Posts
with shackles and a aal this that will be to much of a space for these bags?

·
Registered
790 Posts
anyone know?

·
Registered
790 Posts
im gonna grab the suspensionmaxx shackles and set them at 2"

·
Registered
790 Posts
ok sweet :) ill just have to make the blocks a little bigger then those then right?

·
Administrator
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok sweet :) ill just have to make the blocks a little bigger then those then right?

The block size isn't an issue but the center flat head bolt is. Buy a slightly longer bolt and grind it down to size.

·
Registered
790 Posts
ok sounds good :thumbup:

·
Registered
790 Posts
hey james, did u weld those blocks or buy them?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Those are awesome! This mod is perfect for you:thumbup:
Hi Supermod! I just bought Skidz off eBay the other day. Thanks for your follow-up call. Left you a message about the oil change facilitation valve in case you are selling those too.

But my question here concerns the correct spacers for this Airlift airbag mod, except I'm doing the SM 2" shackles, no AAL. I contacted the fellow you replied to here, but he hasn't done his bags yet so he hadn't fabbed any spacers. My shackles and bags are here, I just need the exact spacing material (or specs) for the 2" shackle setting (around a inch, but.....?) Do you happen to know the typical distance for the Z71 crew 2008 that would work? I could just put the truck up and measure, but I'm going to hire the work out to my mechanic, but would prefer to just hand him the right parts. Also, what bolt length? I can buy long ones and cut them down to work. I just can't do the heavier work right now.

Can't wait to get my Skidz on!

Donovan in Oxnard.

·
Registered
130 Posts
just got my airbags in the mail today, and wanted to check in with people who have done this mod.

anyone have any issues with overextending the bags while flexing the rear suspension? i'd like to know before making my spacer blocks.

also wondering if anyone has plumbed the lines together with a valve, to allow air to pass between the bags for articulation when desired, or to close of air passage for normal driving.

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my Air Lift and spacer kit on the FedEx from Summit yesterday and tried to install it last night.

Just a word of warning to people buying the Air Lift and the spacer kit - the spacer kit does not come with the correct hardware to work with the Air Lift. It's missing the 1/2" x ~3" taper head bolt required to work (the same thing that Supermod fabbed up) The bolt holes in the spacers aren't even 1/2".

Spacer kit (missing two big bolts to work with the kit below)
Air Lift 52130 - Air Lift Air Bag Helper Spring Spacers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The Air Lift:
Air Lift 59539 - Air Lift Ride Control Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

·
Administrator
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got my Air Lift and spacer kit on the FedEx from Summit yesterday and tried to install it last night.

Just a word of warning to people buying the Air Lift and the spacer kit - the spacer kit does not come with the correct hardware to work with the Air Lift. It's missing the 1/2" x ~3" taper head bolt required to work (the same thing that Supermod fabbed up) The bolt holes in the spacers aren't even 1/2".

Spacer kit (missing two big bolts to work with the kit below)
Air Lift 52130 - Air Lift Air Bag Helper Spring Spacers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The Air Lift:
Air Lift 59539 - Air Lift Ride Control Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
At the time they didn't offer a spacer kit but good to know they do now.

Thanks for the heads up!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i just did my Airlift on an AAL lifted z71. I got the plastic two inch spacers. For those of you wondering where to get a 1/2-13 x 3 inch tapered head, Grainger had them in stock. I had to buy 5 because they sell everything as a pack. Cost me 22 bucks I think, but for 5 stainless specialty bolts I didn't think that was too bad. if you don't have the option to fabricate I think that's a reasonable alternative. I believe Fastenal had them as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts