Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
Metal_EMT

Project Name
How To: Install Cab Mount Style Nerf Bars

Project Description
There are many Nerf Bar (Side Steps / Running Boards) that install using the cab bolts. The biggest difference I have seen is in the logo molded into the steps. They come in handy especially when offroad and not parked on level ground, or when stuck in that mud puddle. It gives you something to stand on.

Skill Level
Easy / Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2004
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
Breaker Bar
Ratchet
Sockets to fit bolts in your nerf bar kit and cab mount bolts. (Typically metric)

Nerf Bars
Nerf Bar Brackets and other hardware.
Hammer / Rubber Mallet / Other Beating Implement
Vise or other object to place cab bolts to remove rubber bushings.

Project Time
1-2 hours

Project Cost
Effort
Cost of Nerf Bars (Prices at stylintrucks.com are $181 for powdercoat or $302 for stinless)

Steps
1. Park on a fairly level surface. Lift the truck if needed to get to the cab mounts underneath.

2. Make sure you have all the parts. There should be 4 brackets and 4 bolts to attach the bars to the brackets.

3. Pick the driver or passenger side to start on.

4. Locate the front cab mount bolt. It is located just behind the front tire.

5. Remove this bolt. The rubber bushing should come with it.

6. Now we have to remove this rubber bushing. There is a ridge on the bolt that is designed to keep this bushing on the bolt.

7. This is where the vise comes in. Use the hammer and pound the bolt through the bushing.

8. Put the bolt through the mounting bracket and put the rubber bushing back on. (hammer it back on.)

9. Push the rubber bushing back over the cab mount. If you have locktite handy, put a dab on the bolt threads before reinstalling each cab bolt.

10. Tighten this bolt down and line up the bracket.

11. Repeat this for the rear cab mount on the same side. The rear mount is located at the back of the cab in front of the bed.

12. Rear Mount attached.

13. My set of nerf bars has plastic washers that cover the ends of the pipes. If your kit has this, go ahead and put those on now.

14. Take the bolts provided with the nerf bars and bolt the bar to the brackets.

15. First side is attached. Torque all bolts down. Cab mount bolts should be torqued to 59 Ft. Lbs.

16. Repeat for the other side. Bars should be tight. I was able to create a small amount of flex in the brackets when bouncing on them but they shouldn't be rattling around.

17. ENJOY!

·
Registered
607 Posts
if anyone is looking for a set of chrome 3" nerf bars i am trying to get rid of mine 100 bucks before shipping or best offer!!! :naughty:

·
Registered
607 Posts
i forgot to mention they are for a crew cab

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
so will those move up with a body lift?

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
so will those move up with a body lift?
In order for these to move with a body lift, the brackets would have to be installed ABOVE any spacers in the body lift kit. If the spacer went between the bracket and the cab, then the bars would not lift with the cab. Not having done a body lift before, that's my best guess.

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In order for these to move with a body lift, the brackets would have to be installed ABOVE any spacers in the body lift kit. If the spacer went between the bracket and the cab, then the bars would not lift with the cab. Not having done a body lift before, that's my best guess.
Now that I think about it, I don't think the brackets can fit above the rubber bushings, therefore this would prevent one from mounting the brackets above the spacers, so in that case no, the bars wouldn't lift with the cab. I recall seeing some tube steps that looked like they mounted to the pinch welds or something on the bottom of the cab. Those might be better suited to a body lift.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Now that I think about it, I don't think the brackets can fit above the rubber bushings, therefore this would prevent one from mounting the brackets above the spacers, so in that case no, the bars wouldn't lift with the cab. I recall seeing some tube steps that looked like they mounted to the pinch welds or something on the bottom of the cab. Those might be better suited to a body lift.
I see what you are saying. I guess the BL spacer would be too big to fit under the bracket. Any one here has pics of OEM nerf bars? How are they attached to the frame???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts