Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
rangerbob

Project Name
How-To: Install Electric Fan

Project Description
Please Update This

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon Z71
Year: 2005
Engine: 5cly
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
Needs Updated

Project Time
Needs Updated

Project Cost
Needs Updated

Flex-A-Lite M150 instructions here [pdf warning]

0. Make sure you truck is cool. The radiator gets mighty warm kids.....

1. Remove the little metal clips that hold the fan shroud together. There should be 4 or 5 of them - all in plain sight. Use needle nose pliers.

2. I used a set of channel-lock pliers to loosen the nut that mounts the fan assembly to the pulley. This nut is a hair too big for my 12" crescent hammer ( crescent wrench for those who have not discovered the amazing magical hammer property ). You may need to jam a pulley to keep the belt from turning - use a screwdriver or some such. You guys are smart enough to figure out how. I hope. :)

3. Once you have the fan nut loosened you should be able to remove it with your fingers and then remove the shroud. You may have to remove the top portion of the shroud first. There are three pieces that make up the shroud.

4. Thread the rods into the fan - Jeremy (1badI5) trimmed these down for me as they were a little long. I recommend spinning a set of nuts onto each rod BEFORE CUTTING so that you can use the nuts to chase the threads in case they get a little mangled while cutting. A Dremel worked well here for trimming. ALSO, mark the rods WHILE HOLDING THE FAN IN PLACE to ensure that you have enough left over for adjustment.

5. The fan will mount sideways - I mounted it with the control box pointing towards the passenger side. In order to mount it properly you need to have the following threaded onto the rods:

In this order - said:
Nut, washer, plate, washer, nut
6. Adjust the nuts so that the plate firmly grips the side of the radiator. Jeremy and I held the fan pressed against the radiator while tightening it all down. Hasn't moved at all.

Now for the wiring:

The Black Magic M-150 from Flex-a-Lite has a couple of options:
* You can use a switch to keep the fan from turning on.
* You can use a switch to turn on the fan whenever you want.
* There is a hook-up that turns the fan on when the AC compressor cycles.

I currently have mine wired without any switches. I'll be adding the switches in the future. MAKE SURE TO USE LOOMING TO PROTECT THE WIRES.

1. Run the ground wire to a suitable ground point - I used airbox mounting point like I have for my high-beam mod relay.

2. Run the AC compressor wire - you will need to trim some of the looming off of the AC compressor control wire in order to use the wiretap. PLEASE BE CAREFUL - I will laugh at you if you cut the wire while trimming the looming. I ran the wire over the top of the radiator ( pictures will show this ).

3. Run the power line from the battery using supplied fuse holder. Again I ran this over the top of the radiator.

4. The control box has two posts that need power if you want the fan to run. One option is to hook the second ( control ) power feed to a switched power source. This will prevent the fan from running when the truck is off.

I choose to hook it to an always live source ( same feed as battery ) so that the fan will run regardless of the ignition state. I did this by rigging a split off of the power feed coming from the battery ( picture will show ).

If you want to control this - put this onto a switch - then you don't have to worry about the fan coming on and taking your fingers off. Also good for us offroaders and water crossings when it's silly for the fan to turn on.

5. Take the temperature probe and GENTLY wiggle it between the fins. If you pick the right spot it will wiggle between the fins of the AC condensor and slide all the way flush like it shows in the instructions. I didn't bother with the little plastic cap they give you. The location I choose is near the upper ( read hot water input ) radiator hose ( picture will show ).

6. Make sure that the knob is turned all the way clockwise.

Now the fun begins. Assuming you have it all wired up correctly you can now start your truck and let it get up to temperature. Once your truck reaches a temperature ABOVE NORMAL where you'd like it to start cooling turn the knob counter-clockwise until the fan kicks on.

You may have to adjust this until it turns on at the point you desire.

WARNING: Make sure you pay attention when adjusting this knob. I have a nice new scar from bumping my knuckle into the power steering pulley while it was running. :lol:

Let me know if you have any questions or want pictures of a specific part of the install. Pictures as soon as I get them off of my camera! I noticed a gain of around 1 to 1.1 mpg from this mod alone. The truck also warms up to operating temperature about 1-2 minutes quicker.

Reactions: Canyon08Z71 and mc

·
0 Posts
Re: How-To: Install Electric Fan

Just an update for the guys and gals who live in very hot climates...

Now that the weather is ~100F I finally know if this fan is going to be able to handle the desert...and it is...the truck temp sits right at or a little below the 1/2 mark and doesn't budge...

·
Registered
24 Posts

Just an update for the guys and gals who live in very hot climates...

Now that the weather is ~100F I finally know if this fan is going to be able to handle the desert...and it is...the truck temp sits right at or a little below the 1/2 mark and doesn't budge...
:bang:

Nice...I will have one then.

kthxbye. :kiki2:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So rangerbob, would you have happened to take the dimensions, mainly like the height and width of the mounting surface?

23-1/2" wide
18" high
4-1/2" of usable space between the rear of the radiator and the pulley

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Any cons as to moving from a mechanical to electrical fan?
Absolutely none! If you get the M150 fan you can wiring it up so that it will NOT come on, automatically come on, or come on when you switch it on.

Pretty sweet. Don't have to worry about the fan cutting on when you are poking around under the hood and the engine is running.

Reactions: Maverick

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Out-freakin-standing, thank you sir!!
No problem. I went out to my truck just now and measured. :D

Don't forget to rep me. :p

·
0 Posts

Any cons as to moving from a mechanical to electrical fan?
Its noisy when its running? Haha, that's the only one I can think of...I noticed a mpg increase like rangerbob mentioned and also some more power too...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

Absolutely none! If you get the M150 fan you can wiring it up so that it will NOT come on, automatically come on, or come on when you switch it on.

Pretty sweet. Don't have to worry about the fan cutting on when you are poking around under the hood and the engine is running.
Its noisy when its running? Haha, that's the only one I can think of...I noticed a mpg increase like rangerbob mentioned and also some more power too...
Thanks guys.

A 1 MPG increase is a decent amount. I may do this when my warranty runs out. Definitely wouldn't have to worry about the fan clutch sticking. It stuck on me once, but never did again. :shrug:

·
Registered
52 Posts
nice write up

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
I went with the Flex A lite black magic 180 which is rated for 3300 cfm. It does the job,but I wouldn't go any lower then that. If you do you might run into a situation where you lack enough cooling

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
i found a 175 used for 50$ thats why i was wondering...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts