Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
kewL, thanks!

If that doesn't work out, I need to get off my duff and make a template out of cardboard to take to a metal shop somewhere and have it produced in metal.

I'm not finding the EZ Down part number in the original write up, but I do see Dee Zee Tailgate Assist part #DZ43100 which will fit a 2006 Silverado... this should work, right?
Sending a pm with his contact info. He said he also has the assist piston as well. All brand new still.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need the modified bracket. Can I still get one for my 04 Colorado. Just got my supermod fan installed and just loving it. Want to do lots more to my 04 C. Does Rich still do the bracket? Dick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's my version. I wanted it hidden when the tailgate was closed.

Find your favorite angle grinder and remove the stop tab

Remove old bolt, screw in bolt supplied with kit

Fully extend ezdown, try to keep it as far back as you can so the gate can shut properly, mark spot for hole

Drill hole, and put in new bolt/washers/nuts (1.19 at local hardware store)

Tada, closes without any issues, tail light went back in fine, and now I can drop the tailgate without worry.
Have you found any downsides to removing that stop tab since? The gap between my tailgate and the body on that side is already widened from an accident before I bought mine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just ordered my ez down kit and cant wait to get going on it. I'm planning on a different route for mounting though.

It's hard to determine exactly what I will do since I need the strut to plan. What I'm picturing is some sort of bracket like the ones previously sold but not the same design.

I may end up drilling a new hole in the tailgate near the stop tab and tap it to thread a bolt in. Then it should come up tucked in when the gate is closed. I'll design some sort of bracket for the top Wherever it ends up being.

I will upload a few pictures as I do it for people who want this but cant do the original bracket.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

81 - 91 of 91 Posts