Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
JosueZQ8

Project Name
How To: Installing a Gas Door Popper

Project Description
Here is the how-to on installing a gas door popper for those with a shaved gas door hump. There are 2 different kinds I've been selling; one is from BMW, and the other is off of the new Tahoe's and Yukon's, both of which are very cheap, even without my body shop discount.

Skill Level
Moderate-Advanced

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2004
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
7mm 1/4" socket w/long extension
wire cuts
drill w/various bits
T30 torx socket or torx driver
metal files (assortment depending on your selection)
some sort of high strength glue

Project Time
1 hour to 2 hours

Project Cost
Cost of Gas Door, Popper and Paint/Body work

1. Remove your gas cap, and remove the 7mm holding the neck to the filler piece.

Push the neck down and to the left inside the bedside.

2. Using your side cuts, remove the plastic pin holding the filler piece.

Also at this time, remove the 2 T30 torx at the top of the filler piece. The only way to get the piece out, is to drop it all the way down inside the bedside, and pull it out the bottom underneath the truck, do so right now....

CAUTION

Due to our good friend, RUST, removing the T30's from the filler piece might prove to be a challenge. The bolts rust inside the J-clips, and since the piece is plastic, when you go to take them out, the clip will spin and break off of the piece.

If this happens, head down to where ever you can get nuts and bolts from locally, and see if they have something that will work. HOPEFULLY, there will be enough of the filler piece left that you can snap the new clip on. If not, then you might be stuck buying a new filler piece, but it shouldn't be terribly expensive.

Lucky for me, I had enough leftover to re-use my filler. We also have these clips at my shop, and I had new T30 torx bolts in my nut and bolt collection.

Back to the popper.....

3. Here are the templates I send out with my doors. The one of the right is the GM, the left, BMW.

Set the template where you want the popper to be, and scribe it's outline with whatever method you choose. Generally, it just goes right in the middle of the lower rubber stop, and the lower T30 filler bolt.

BUT, you'll notice that it doesn't fit the curve of the opening. Just trim and trim until it fits....

4. This part of the install is really up to you on how you want to do it. I suggest drilling an 1/8" hole in the center of the outline, and then stepping the bit size up to the largest bit you have. Then you'll have a good starting out point for opening the hole up to the size of the outline.

I'm not sure how many people have access to something like this, or what else you could use to open the hole up, but I used a reaming bit in my target grinder. It doesn't matter how you go about this, just as long as it gets done. If you have one that will work, you could even use a metal file. Might take a little longer, but would work fine none the less...

5. As you can see above, the openings needed for these poppers are a square/rectangular shape, this is where the metal files come in.

*TIP*

Don't spend too much time trying to get the opening "perfect", it doesn't need to be in order to do the job. Just trim a little, see if the popper snaps in, trim a little more, see if it snaps in, and so on and so forth.

You can see here in mine, it's not perfect, but it does the job!

Halfway there!

Next, the filler piece needs to be trimmed, or else the popper won't fit. Set the piece into position and mark where it needs to be trimmed in reference to where the popper will sit once into it's position.

DO NOT follow my trim job here! LOL I installed mine on my lunch so I was rushing it. I just blindly cut a chunk out and threw it back together. You should be able to trim a section about half as big as mine....

***EDIT***

Most of the people installing these have been able to get the poppers in without trimming the filler piece, or only having to trim a little bit. So check your positioning of the popper to see if you need to trim anything at all....

*TIP #2*

Before re-assembly, I STRONGLY suggest getting some touch-up paint, and touching up all of the bare metal from the hole you made for the popper. It would take a while, but over time the area WILL rust. If you don't have any touch-up paint, you should be able to score something close from Auto Zone or something. Nobody will ever see it anyway, so it doesn't need to be dead on balls accurate, just something that prevents rust. Hell, if you had another color laying around your house, you could use that if you wanted!

6. Now just re-assemble everything in the reverse order you took it apart. BE SURE to install the new door BEFORE the filler piece goes back in as well. It's just the 2 other T30 torx bolts right there, pretty self explanatory.

7. Lastly, there needs to be a rubber stop glued onto the back of the door, otherwise the door will sit too far in and the popper won't operate as it should. You would have to really press on the door to get it to pop open. This also brings the door out even with the bedside...

I suggest using a piece of tape to hold the stop in place while you determine the proper location for it. Obviously, it needs to sit directly over the center of the popper. Also, you will need to trim the stop down a bit so that the door, once closed, sits flush with your bedside. Similar to making the hole for the popper, this is a trial and error process. Just keep at it till you get it right.

Once you find the spot, use some glue to to firmly hold it in place. Any kind of strong glue will work. I used some 2 part stuff we have at work. I used a little too much cause again, I was in a hurry LOL, so don't mind it oozing out the sides...

ALL DONE!!

This is a pretty easy install that makes a subtle, but VERY cool difference! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! :salute:

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Re: HOW-TO: Install gas door popper.

I'm liking the thumbs up in the last pic. lol Very good write up. This should make it very easy once I get my door back.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

LOL!! I was hoping someone would've caught that!

I also need to add something in there so others don't struggle as you did....:kiki:

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

They should be pretty cheap. Those aren't actually mine, borrowed them from a guy I work with...lol

But they make the job much easier...

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts

I was just thinking instead of cutting the filler plate could we just heat it up and form it so that it does not touch the popper?

·
5cylinder and Tire slayer
16,419 Posts

bad ass dude.. I love how I gave up my spot.. then I finally got a 2nd job.. im kicking myself haahh ..

looks bad ass!!!

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Dead on balls accurate???
It's a scientific term......:D

I was just thinking instead of cutting the filler plate could we just heat it up and form it so that it does not touch the popper?
I dunno, it's pretty thick plastic. Give it a try though man, worse case, you end up cutting it out anyway!

bad ass dude.. I love how I gave up my spot.. then I finally got a 2nd job.. im kicking myself haahh ..

looks bad ass!!!

I'll keep you in mind man. People are fucking dropping like FLIES on this, so we'll have some leftover....

·
5cylinder and Tire slayer
16,419 Posts

sounds good bud, lemme know! sorry I backed out, I just didnt want you to make one then me not have the cash to I prematurly backed out for precautionary measuring

·
Registered
7,668 Posts

maybe use some double sided tape to attach the rubber bumpstop piece to the popper to get an accurate match of where it needs to be, dab a little glue/silicone (whatever you used) on the back of the bumpstop and close the door.

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts

I got a question for ya. You wanna install it for me? :lol: I get nervious cutting into my truck but I shoudl be ok with your template.

I can't wait till I get mine!!!

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thanks everyone...:355group:

I got a question for ya. You wanna install it for me? :lol: I get nervious cutting into my truck but I shoudl be ok with your template.

I can't wait till I get mine!!!

Might be able to work something out....:D

1 - 20 of 75 Posts